Find
Notify
Tools

"Custom"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted
How would one go about turning a Stevens 200 rifle into a .240 Wby?

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber is it now? Makes a difference.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
.270, sorry. What woudl be the best caliber? They arte so cheap a guy could start with a news one...

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Should be just a matter of rebarrel. While the 240Wby has a belt the head is the same size as a 270. The length is real close. So I would think just changing the barrel would be all that is needed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Where would i go about finding a .240 Wby Barrel?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if the thread is the same on the savage and Stevens 200. But, just about any of these places could tell you. Shaw being about the cheapest for a complete package.

http://sst.benchrest.com/#barrels

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help! Working with Shaw to get set up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rayderluvr:

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't wipe your friends on the sofa! Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a couple of options here. You can turn it into a 240 Weatherby or you can turn it into a 240s ballistic equivilent called a 6mm/06. The latter is just as fast, equal case capacity, easier to load, no belted case and everything about it is much cheaper. The 6mm/06 would be my choice for a 6mm screamer.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But no factory ammo for the 6mm'06.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
I will have to look into finding a handloader (I have a buddy that does a lot of it) if I were to go with the 6mm-06. I like that idea though...as .240 Wby mags are about $35-$40 for a box of 20. I am new, and unfamiliar with the 6mm-06 but assume it is a necked down 30-06 case? Would I be better offf to start with a .270 or 30-06? I assume then install a .244/6mm barrel, with very few modifications to the action?

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Another question...how is the 6mm-06 different from a 6mm-284?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
capacity is basically the same. The 284 case is shorter, fatter with a rebated rim. Designed for shorter actions and still give 280 rem performance. In a normal length action the difference would be too close to call.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. What velocity numbers with 80 or 100 slugs will he 6mm-06 have? What would be the best caliber to start with, .270, .30-06, or???? I have not purchased an action yet. Any recomentdations? What do you think of the Stevens 200?