New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering 22 LR
 Login/Join

<xs headspace>
posted
Planning on getting a Baikal 22/20 ga combo. What problems can I expect in rechambering it to 22 Mag?? Being made in Russia, I'm sure there's plenty meat in the chamber area for the extra pressure. Matter of fact, I'm even considering rechambering to 22 Hornet(bush the action face, redo the firing pin to CF, of course).

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I would think that going to 22mag wouldn't be an issue. However if my memory is working this morning the 22 rf barrel is .221" while the Hornet is .224"

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this has anything to do with your post, but Savage already has chamberings like that-

http://www.savagearms.com/24f20.htm

but I'm guessin' you are aware of that.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Twist rate is most likely 1-16, and you want a minimum of 1-14 for a hornet. Should rechamber to a magnum OK, might have to extend the firing pin outward a little bit though to accommodate the slightly larger rim.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Well, no biggie on the twist-most Hornet loads are 40-50 gr bullets, but I'll have to slug the barrel on the bore diameter-thought the rf was .222 vs .224. God knows what the Russkies put in. Ya niznayu nichavo, Tovarich....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a BSA Martini Model 12 which started out life as a 22 LR and has been rechambered to 22 Hornet. Shoots .224 and .223 bullets just fine (.224 are 35 grain, and .223 are 40 grain).
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote