New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 63 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wonder if anyone has a helpful opinion on this (besides sell the gun).

For about ten years I've had a .22 Model 63 that reportedly breaks firing pins. It's on its third or fourth now. I've always had it fixed by the same local smith.

It does fine for several boxes of ammo, with any and all brands then starts misfiring. Pin strikes are seen on the unfired shells.

It will fire then misfire, fire then misfire. Then start misfiring more and more. It also seems like putting only two or three in the tubular magazine might possibly work better than loading all ten, meaning less likely to misfire.

The smith has said each time the firing pins are broken and need replacing. It's OK now, having been fixed a couple years ago and only fired about fifty times since.

I'm reluctant to fire it because I don't want to go thru this again.

Another smith offered an explanation but said it would involve extensive and expensive rebuilding. It got rather complicated sounding and I'm sorry, but I can't remember the details of what he said.

Has anyone run into this sort of thing? Is there anything wrong with replacement firing pins in recent years?

Thanks for all helpful responses.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another smith offered an explanation but said it would involve extensive and expensive rebuilding

Did this complicated explanation include something like having to repair a firing pin groove in the edge of the chamber? If you or someone else has dry-fired this rifle extensively, that's usually the problem. It causes the rim to bend into the slot peened into the barrel face instead of crushing the rim of the case and igniting the primer. Check the face of the barrel carefully to see if this is the case. If it is, yes you are in for some expensive repair work.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chamber could be sleeved then rechambered.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote