THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Barrel tenon / thread dimensions for Ruger RSM / Magnum?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel tenon / thread dimensions for Ruger RSM / Magnum?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted
Morning folks, did Ruger use a larger tenon than the standard M77’s 1”-16 on the RSM?

Much obliged planning projects,

Angus

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot say for absolutly sure, but I believe all 77's and No 1's are 1"-16 tpi. The only variation that I am aware of is a Palma rifle that Ruger built for the Palma Teams quite a few years back, based on a 77 action.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
IDK about the RSM, but for sure, never thread a barrel unless you have the action in front of you; I never do. Then you will know.
Yes, All other 77 variations and #1s are 1x16, as are Winchester Model 70s.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m considering if a take off barrel from one could be useful to one of my builds. Offered a .458 takeoff and need to figure which actions it could be fitted to, Mausers are out if it’s 1”.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ask the guy who has the take off barrel to measure it. Large thread Mauser are out even if it is 1 1/6ths. Get it anyway, you can put it on a Model 70. Or a Mosin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s still on the gun is the issue, take off to be.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They aren't on that tight......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are when you find yourself 1,000 miles from the rifle and barrel in question. Wink The dimensions figure heavily in whether the project makes the trip here or not. Hopefully somebody here is informed on the matter would be handy information at this point, presuming 1-16.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RSM is 1.125" X 0.975" 16TPI. They made them larger for the Rigby cartridge.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really appreciate that farbedo, excellent news. I wanted to rethread it for an Oberndorf Mauser actioned .458 for backing bear hunting clients. Exciting to hear this can work.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You will have some cross threading visible, but not once you screw it on. You knew this though, that the shank won't clean up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plan to set it back 1/2” as well and rechamber as a Win Mag from a Lott. Half the threads will look good, like you said it’ll be hidden.