Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

REM.722 ACTION
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for info. on a rem. 722SA.I have a chance to buy one for a 20cal. project gun i've been thinking about.Have not heard much about this action verses the 700 SA.Any info would be helpful.

<eldeguello>
posted
The 722 is essentially the same as the M700 short action, except for the angle of the bolt handle and stamped, cheapie bottom metal. There used to be aftermarket bottom metal for the 721-722, but I'm not sure if you cans still get it.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
slagman

The rear tang is also different. but it should fit most any stock made for a m700 with little work. m700 bdl bottom metal will also work.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I have owned dozens of 721s and 722s, and have had many custom-barrel jobs are these actions. The 722s are outstanding actions; I have actually come to prefer them over the 700 SA or 7. I find them, in general, to be smoother both in function and in feeding.

The differences are minor from the modern 700. The bolt handle is not swept and is polished like the bolt body, which is not jeweled. The safety is in the same position, but is shaped slightly differently. The tang is a bit wider. The extractor is similar, but takes an even smaller bite on the case rim that the 700's; this is often cited as a weakness of both actions, but especially of the 721 and 722; however, I've have put literally thousands of rounds through these action and never had even one extractor problem. (If it gives you a hard time you can always have a sako-style extractor install for $125 or so, if it ever comes to that.) They both have the plunger-style ejector. The bolt shroud is a bit more revealing on the 721s and 722s (and the early 700s) than the modern 700, but is very similar otherwise. The 721s and 722 share the 700s reputation for being nice and rigid and extremely strong. The 721s and 722s have adjustable triggers that, in my experience, aren't too bad.

It has been said that the 722 in 222 Rem was the single most accurate production rifle ever made. My experience with these actions is generally consistent with this idea; I have found them to shoot better, on average, than 700s I have owned. Just now I am working with a 257 roberts with a featherweight SS pac-nor barrel (duplication of the 700 mountain rifle contour) on a 1949 722 action that will shoot 0.4-0.5MOA (3 shots) WITH FACTORY AMMO and a 2-7x scope. With handloads it will do even better. I have another in 250-3000 with a Shaw barrel that will do nearly as well. I've owned a number in 300 savage that would shoot 0.5 MOA (3 shot) with factory ammo as well.

People often comment on the stamped triggerguard / floorplate (it's all one piece). I actually prefer it. It is metal, so won't crack in the cold or on a rock like the standard BDL floorplate will. Plus, they can be blued up real nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slagman: 9.3x62 did a damn good job describing the 721/722. As he notes the only place that it comes up short of the 700 is in the extractor, but both of them are (theoretically) weak, and both of them usually work just fine. Since I doubt that you will be attempting to stop the charge of a maddened rhino with your proposed .20 caliber, I doubt that the potential failure of the extractor will give you much pause.

As to the bottom metal, unless for some reason you just HAVE to have a trapdoor floorplate, I, too, find the steel (although stamped steel) of the 721/722 superior to the aluminum of the 700 BDL, and worlds better than the plastic trigger guard of the 700 ADL.

A 722 will be noticeably smoother than a 700. I'm assuming that you'll be replacing the stock -- the factory 722 stock had way too much drop.

Now to the trigger: If ever a company deserved to be put out of business due to faulty and dangerous products, it is Remington. The 722 trigger is just as subject to malfunction (engage safety, press trigger, disengage safety, gun go BOOM) as the 600 or 700. By all means, replace the trigger (despite the fact that the factory trigger can be fairly light and reasonably crisp.)

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very early 40x (its not even designated as such) single shot in 222 built on a 722 action. It's a sweet rifle and I would not hesitate one bit to build a rifle from another one. In fact, if you decide not to use that action, let me know, I'm very interested. Thanks.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. on the 722 action. It was very helpful.I am going to purchase it to build my rifle.