Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headspace ?
 Login/Join

posted
I just put together a mauser, and finish reamed the chamber on the action. I think I may have reamed too far. The GO gauge for a .308 is listed as 1.63 and the NOGO as 1.634 It closes on the GO fine. I do not have a NOGO. So, I put the only shim that I had under the GO gauge and the bolt will not close this way. It goes down about 1/2 way. The shim is .003 thick. Do you guys think this is OK or not? This is going to be a regular hunting gun. Nothing special. So it does not need a match length chamber. But I don't want a large one either. Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you have it, however double check the .003 shim and make sure it is indeed .003 and this shim is only used between the bolt face and end of go gage (remove extractor, firing pin ect.) you should be ok. also just for fun check your micometer (the one used to measure the shim) with a standard to verify it's accuracy.

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My micrometer was just certified last month for QS9001 at work. They were doing all of them in the plant so I brought mine in to have it checked. The shim is .003 and it was with the bolt body only.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just guessing, I'd say your headspace is .0015. Sounds good to me....Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote