New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing out a recoil pad on A Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see Brownells sells a replacement Pachmeyer recoild pad for the Savage 110 Syn stock. I have a newer rifle,model number 11FL, would they fit the same? I know it may take a little bit of sanding to get it to fit the contour perfectly but it is easy to remove the old pad and install the new one? How are they held on the stock?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Pachmeyr says their made to fit pads can not be sanded. I do not know why. I looked at them but in the end went with the regular. Someone may know if Savage changed the stock measurements but mabey you can email them.Screws hold most pads on.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought one for my synthetic stocked Savage. The Pachmyar pad fit just a fingernail catch oversized on most of it. I haven't tried to sand it yet. The stock pad comes off with a regular phillips screwdriver.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I didnt know you could not sand the pre fit pads. I may now just use a regular Pachmeyer Pad and sand to fit. Do all the recoil pads have the holes drilled in the same place? Its been decades since I changed out a pad. I just want to make sure if I buy a new pad the holes on the pad line up with the holes in the syn stock.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all love the picture of your "sister" Now lets take a look at her "recoil pad" waking away.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys--just in case anybody was confused that last post was meant for Fjod.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I just wanna know if the holes are gonna line upSmiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe: Not sure about the model you have but I just put a new pad on one of the economy Stevens model. Screw holes do not match and it's necessary to build in at least one new attachment point. Take the old pad off before you select a new one and try lining pads up until you find one with enough material so you can use one of the factory holes and still have enough pad to trim to correct angle on the other end. You would wonder why any manufacturer would not make their stocks to make improvements more convenient should the owner wish.

Another option is to shape and glass in a thin wood filler and then epoxy the new pad to the butt. Chew the plastic up good so the glass can make a good mechanical lock between the wood filler and the inside of the butt.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote