New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I measure my barrel diameter?
 Login/Join

Picture of Chris McCollum
posted
I'd like to be able to measure the interior diameter of the barrels for all of my guns, so I can get the best bullets for that gun for reloading purposes.

what is this device called?

Thanks!

Chris McCollum

Posts: 6 | Location: Richardson, TX | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Lead slug

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12601 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Fjold,

Where is the best place to get one that covers as many pistol and rifle calibers?

Any links to your favorite brand?

Thanks!

Chris McCollum

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris McCollum:
Hi Fjold,

Where is the best place to get one that covers as many pistol and rifle calibers?

Any links to your favorite brand?

A lead slug isn't a tool so-to-speak, it is a method of measuring the bore. In practice, you carefully upset and drive a piece of soft, pure lead from one end of the bore to the other and then measure it. Do a search of this site. Probably some good info on the subject.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off-topic to a degree- there was a man who lived in Maryland, IIRC, who could accurately mike a slug from a barrel with odd lands/grooves, and would for free if you sent him the slugs- is he still doing it?

Thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He posted in Precision Shooting Mag. recently that he was quitting. Slugging it will not tell you. You need to shoot it and the barrel will tell you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. There are very expensive tiny measuring devices for this small interior type work. Ask any machinist supply house. Bring money. Lots.

OR you can "cast" or " slug" the barrel.

Slugging consists of upsetting a lead slug in the bore by banging at it from two directions with wood dowel or brass rod or ??? Then you measure it with a micrometer.

Squirt of lube first is a good idea.

Casting: i). If you wish a permanent record there are alloys, "cerrosafe" from Brownells or Midwayusa is an industry standard. You could use lead or brass but that is not a standard and you cannot tell about exact shrink, etc. Cerrosafe melts in boiling water. Plug the barrel. Pour into area to be measured. Allow to cool. Gently force out. Measure.
ii). You can use garden sulphur. Melt outside. If it catches fire you got it too hot and it STINKS. Put the lid on the pan to snuff out the fire. Pour as before. Be even more gentle. If you break it, start over. Measure cast.

Obviously you will need a micrometer. Or an expensive caliper. The cheap ones won't tell you much.

As said, you won't have the "final word" until you shoot. There is no "certain" size that works best every time. Lapua sells match .30 bullets in .308 and .309... Luck.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Slugging it will not tell you. You need to shoot it and the barrel will tell you.
Butch

That's exactly right. The target has the final say on best bullet!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Cleaerly I am new at this, but your knowledge and patience has been helpful. I will take y'alls advice!

Thanks!

Chris McCollum

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
A round ball for a muzzle-loader makes a good lead slug. You use a large-caliber ML ball, like a .490" for bores up to 45 cal;iber. Set the ball on the muzzle, then carefully pound on it until a portion of the ball enters the muzzle. Then, using a brass punch, pound the center of the slug into the bore several inches. Then push the slug all the way through the barrel with a ramrod and measure it with a micrometer afrter you get it out of the breech.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
A round ball for a muzzle-loader makes a good lead slug. You use a large-caliber ML ball, like a .490" for bores up to 45 cal;iber. Set the ball on the muzzle, then carefully pound on it until a portion of the ball enters the muzzle. Then, using a brass punch, pound the center of the slug into the bore several inches. Then push the slug all the way through the barrel with a ramrod and measure it with a micrometer afrter you get it out of the breech.....

After you insert the piece of lead into the bore, insert a polished steel rod from the chamber end and hold it against the "slug" like an anvil while you "swage" the slug with a punch. This forces the lead slug tightly against the walls of the bore for a more precise measurement. Don't forget to run a lightly oiled patch through the bore first.