Find
Notify
Tools

Parts of an Extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
xx

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Excellent visual aid Duane. I had wondered if a taper on the underside of the tip (last pic) would be advisable to avoid that "bolt slip over the cartridge" phenomenon. Thanks for confirming my inclinations before I went ahead on my own. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The slight "hook" at the top allows a round to be single fed

Duane, could you briefly describe or show a better photo of this? And are you talking about the extractor snapping over the rim of a round dropped in the chamber?

On that subject, I was tinkering with one of my Springfields this weekend and comparing the visual appearance of the 1903 extractor that is supposed to do this against the M98 that is not supposed to. I know they are similar, but couldn't see a dramatic difference so I tried push feeding a couple of my Mausers. 4 to be exact, and three of the four closed on a chambered round with only the slightest click as the bolt closed. I have no idea if any were modified at some point in the past, but they all came off milsurps. I can not visually distinguish the one that only fed from the magazine from any of the others.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote