New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine box question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it possible to just weld a small extension on a standard (1909) magazine box, and hog out the sides a bit to get the 9.3x64 Brenneke cartridge to feed well? The action is a Mark X that has already been converted (Thank you Mark Stratton - it was one of his last jobs until his gunsmithing was temporarily interupted).

I have the same question(s) regarding the 8x68 RWS cartridge.

Any input is appreciated, as always,

ld

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I just saw Mark post here the other day. Why not PM him and ask him?

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
JCN,

I know of a fellow board member who has done this a few times with a few 1909's. He posted the pictures somewhere...

I would therefore say that what you are asking about is definitely possible.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta keep in mind that the bolt face will have to be opened up and the case diameter is larger, so proper "stack" may not happen and the rails will need attenion....I'd go with the 9.3x62...almost a drop in

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane, Tex and Kev,

A 9.3x62 is high in the to-do list. The 9.3x64 project came about because I had 9.3x64 barrel done by Jack Belk, and was practically given the action. Mark surface ground the action and opened the bolt face just enough that I will finish it with Swiss files and sand cloth to get it just right (go slow, no, go slower).

I'm giving thought to having the mag box EDM cut out of a block of steel, and then grafting it onto an existing trigger guard. At least the recoil shoulders will look seamless Smiler.

Going forward I'll mostly stick to cartridges that are very close to the originals in my 1909 and Czech 1938 actions.

Z1r got a 376 Steyr to stack and feed the way it should. This will entail a lot more thinking and planning than cutting and grinding. The feed rail mods scare me the most.

I'll keep everyone posted. At worst, I'll be a poster child for what not to do.

ld

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a commercial Mauser 98 in a 9.3X64 Brenneke wildcat (bullet diameter opened up to .375).

It only needed to have the bolt-face opened, and the feedrails worked on. The magazine box worked fine as it was.

Thanks Ruger for making my cartridge superfluous.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Garrett,

Do you ever work over at the Vanderbilt medical facilities?

Are you going to make a 416 Ruger?

Can I borrow some money so I can send my G33-40 over to Duane for a while?

LD