Find
Notify
Tools

Action blue prints?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I have a Navy machineist who will build me an action if I supply the metal.

Anyone have blueprints in PDF for a magnum mauser, a Faharqson, side lever singleshot, or a M700 or Jarrett Tri-lug clone?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a good idea but by the time you find out otherwise you have already spent more than it costs to just buy one. A machinist is not necessarily a gunsmith and not always used to the tolerances that make a gun work right. If he is truly capable of building a working action then he wouldn't need prints, since he would be making all the components anyways. My opinion for what it's worth. Good Shoot'n

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
While I agree that a machinist isn't a gunsmith, most of the Navy machinest I know have tuned a couple hundred Navy Match rifles and worked on hundreds of 1911s.

We don't have a gunsmith job, we have armorers, and the RMs (Navy machinest) are gunsmiths.

Any sailor who can build internal parts with .00001 tolerances for jet engines can build a rifle.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are probably going to have a very hard time getting actual blue-prints of receivers...especially modern ones.

Your best bet would be to get an actual receiver and just have your guy use it as a template for taking measurerments.

You can pick up “beater†Mauser receivers from places like SARCO pretty cheap.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you propose to mill the "D" slot in the inner ring?. That's just for starters.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Navy machinists are also MRs (Machinery Repairman) and they are not gunsmiths. I went to MR class 'C' school while I was in and I learned to run a mill and a lathe.

I made a single shot 45 on a submarine with a combo lathe/mill machine but I would never have tried to make a complicated action.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,
there sure is some crap here.In reference to BiggestGuns' responce .

Prints are a reference/record/guide, why would a machinist not want or use them?

I suppose Purdey,H&H,Airbus, Beoing,Rolls Royce, doesnt have prints,paper or disc for its products? But they are the original builders, shouldnt need them, cause their building the thing from scratch right? what aload ofbull

Fact is, a machinist does not even have to know what he is bulding, as long as he is given the correct material, appropriate machinery,accurate figures/dimensions of the item and he is capable of producing those components to required spec, be it mm or microns.Sometimes that guy is even better at it because he is detached from the emotions of the task. There is no reason why a person who has been involved in producing super fine machining for jet engine components would not be capable of producing an action. Airbus has its components built all over Europe, and they do it with shared prints/disc data. That does not make them any less a jet aircraft builder, in fact it is quite the contrary.

Some people think Mcdonalds is in the hamburger business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
While I agree that a machinist isn't a gunsmith, most of the Navy machinest I know have tuned a couple hundred Navy Match rifles and worked on hundreds of 1911s.

We don't have a gunsmith job, we have armorers, and the RMs (Navy machinest) are gunsmiths.

Any sailor who can build internal parts with .00001 tolerances for jet engines can build a rifle.

To build an action requires tooling to be built, not just machining out a number of parts. You are also dealing with steel selection and heat treat, different materails and different h.t. of the different parts.
And I question machinists that work to .00001 of an inch, that is 10 millionths, or about 1/300 of the thickness of a human hair. Million dollar toolrooms do work to .00005 but they have gages that are certified to .000020 or better.
It does not require anywhere near those tolerances to build an action but there are other serious concerns, as I mentioned above.