THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Custom Laminating of Your Wood; Who Does It? *PICS*

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Laminating of Your Wood; Who Does It? *PICS*
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
The reason I am asking is that some time ago I posted pictures of quilted maple and curly redwood and one of the shops contacted me asking about more redwood and burl/ bird's-eye in either species as well as a piece of madrone I had. Well I sold the madrone by the time they contacted me and I did not have any of the other wood left in suitable sizes. Recently I got three 2X8s [before planing] that are 8 feet long. They are as requested and a lot better in fact than I have ever had.

Can you help me with the shops that do this work so I can contact them and see who the heck it was? I have never intended these woods as stock wood due to the lightness, but I see they are using it in the laminates now for benchrest guns with denser pieces in the middle.

These are the original pieces they saw and wanted, but they are not wide enough for a stock.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea who it was you are trying to contact, but here is a couple of guesses.

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/

http://www.serengetirifles.com/

Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
contact: henry@henryambrose.com, He glues up laminated blanks. Henry is looking for light. I don't know if he uses any figure.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Greg West is one of them that I gave you an email for. Here is his website: http://www.westcustomrifles.com/customriflestocks.htm

Terry Leonard may be interested as well, but I don't have his contact info. Butch, did you get your stock from Henry yet?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to get one for later, but have too many other projects going. Just finished my Grandsons Drop port Diamondback in a Terry Leonard stock. Looked very god with a tuner this weekend.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
contact: henry@henryambrose.com, He glues up laminated blanks. Henry is looking for light. I don't know if he uses any figure.
Butch

I e-mailed greg and also henry to see. I would love to see these blanks used for something special and not a mantel piece no one will appreciate. The trees were over 1000 years old.

I found the pictures Henry Ambrose posted on the BenchRest Central Forums and found it very interesting. I have no idea what the LV and HV rifles are, but he is using very open grained 2nd and 3rd growth lumber. Here this would be fencing or decking material.

Looks like he has maybe 2-5 rings per inch as seen below:

Although that is a very light wood, I would not want something to bump against it. That type of redwood is easily marred.

For something like this I would stay with the old growth tight ring woods like below. These are small 1.5 inch square samples.

The light colored smaples are old growth Douglas-fir that competed against the old growth redwoods for survival. That is the hardest D-fir you will ever find. D-fir is not exactly stock wood, but I didn't think redwood was either.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weight is most important. A Light Varmint stock needs to weigh no more than 20oz. with finish on it. I think that Henry vacuum bags his instead of clamps. It is the superior way to do it. Bat Machine makes balsa stocks. After shaping a very lightweight piece of fiberglass cloth is applied to the outside. It is invisible and protects from bruising.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
If you could PM me with pics of the three 2x8's and what you are looking for, I may be interested in them.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote