Find
Notify
Tools

Tang vs. shroud saftey on M77
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of scw
posted
Besides the obvious, what is the difference between them? Does the tang saftey block the trigger, or the firing pin?

Personally, I prefer the shroud, but I see a lot of people in classifieds using the tang as a selling point.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tang safeties on Rugers block the trigger, not the firing pin. However, it really does look much better then the shroud version, and tang safeties can be modified (I've seen some old pre-war Mausers done this way) to block the firing pin as well. As I don't believe in safeties (the only one really worth anything is the one between your ears), I prefer the tang type. Your milage however, may vary. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also prefer the shroud safety as I have seen tang safties accidently deactivated.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tang safety all the way- quieter, easier and therfore faster due to thumb being on or near safety at all times, sleek look to shroud.
I have even removed shrouds from my Mauser's and added the tang.
But,,,,, what do you expect for my .02 cents.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 77 with both I much prefer the shroud safetys. I have found them to be much more reliable.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the quickness of the tang safetys.I used them deer hunting and can take off the safety and shoot at the same time.Its like shooting a shotgun instead of a rifle its so quick.I lost a big buck fooling with the new safety on my stainless.He heard me flick the safety and was gone by the time I was ready to shoot.I have shot 80 deer with 80 shots with my old tang safety old model Ruger 338 win mag.I have 3 stainless 338s ,a 264 stainless and a couple of old model 338s .I favor the old models but I like the fiberglass stocks and stainless metal but hate that frickin new safety!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tang saftey here it is under my thumb in a natural postion not searching around the bolt under a trigger gaurd or any were else. Just wish Ruger would go back to making them as I would like to buy a new 338 but will have to find a used tang saftey one.

Posts: 19 | Location: Cottonwood CA | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are both nice rifles. I have a tang here to work on and the safety is too easy to push off. It does lock the trigger and the bolt as well as holding sear from dropping off of the firing pin. These old rifles are just push feed as well and worse of all some of the barrels were not too good. They do have adjustible triggers and nice checkering though.

I much prefer the new shroud safety and I find that it's easier to use than the similar one on the famous M 70.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both styles of Rugers and I have to say the tang safety is way too easy to flip off accidentally. I much prefer the shroud safety for hunting. The old models are fine guns and mine shoots good, but I just can't get used to having to be extra cautious about handling the rifle by the grip.