Find
Notify
Tools

How tight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
I was wondering how tight would you guys suggest to tighten the stock screws on a rifle? The scenerio is on a remington 700 action in a ultimate sniper stock, with a full length aluminum block bedding. I am going to be using a in/lb torque wrench so the exact poundage will be easily known.
Thanks,
CRoberts

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use McMillan pillar bedded stocks and I torque to 65 inch/pounds front and rear...because that is the poundage that my rifles seem to like the best.

I’ve you have an actual torque wrench, rather than the pre-set T-Handle type, you might want to experiment to see what your particular rifle “likes.†Some seem to do better with the front torqued more...others like the rear torqued more...and still others like them both the same.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, I know you know your stuff, I'm just curious, what is the conversion to ft/lbs from inch/lbs ?

Is it as obvious as dividing 65 by 12 to get 5.45 or so?

I just bought a torque wrench from Snap On tools guy, and I think it is calibrated in ft/lbs, but I'm not sure. It has a range that goes up to around 85 or so something/lbs.

Appreciate any feedback.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My past experience has been as follows:

- Service and match rifles that were std bedded were normally torqued 35 - 40 inch lbs. Any more than that would crush the bedding.

- Service and match rifles that were pillar bedded w/ steel bottom metal were normally torqued 60 - 65 inch lbs. They can withstand the higher torque.

- My M40s were torqued 65 inch lbs. Bombproof.

- Anchutz that are not bedded but have steel pillars and steel bottom metal are torqued between 25 - 60 inch pounds. They can withstand the high torque for short durations and are taken down after shooting/match.

- Remington recommends their std. wood stock rifles be torqued no more than 12 - 15 inch pounds and their aluminum bedding block stocks to be torqued 35 - 40 inch - lbs. If a wood stock rifle is inletted properly you can go a bit higher but most will flex the receiver due to not having solid contact between the receiver and wood w/out bedding.

I would say if you have a std. floorplate/trigger guard w/ the aluminum block, steel escruchions or pillars, torque it to 35 - 40 inch pounds and leave it. If you have winchester style one piece bottom metal and it is solid pillar bedded, go to 60 inch pounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, it is actually ft-lbs and inch -lbs but you are right you divide inch lbs. by 12 to get foot lbs.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Rick, I know you know your stuff, I'm just curious, what is the conversion to ft/lbs from inch/lbs ?

Is it as obvious as dividing 65 by 12 to get 5.45 or so?

I just bought a torque wrench from Snap On tools guy, and I think it is calibrated in ft/lbs, but I'm not sure. It has a range that goes up to around 85 or so something/lbs.

Appreciate any feedback.

Snap-On also sells inch/pound torque wrenches...but you’ll probably have to order it. Just don’t get careless and forget you have a foot/pound wrench or you will be snapping the heads off your screws.

If I were you I would start out in the 30 to 40 inch/pound range and shoot some groups to see how things work. Like I said, consistency is far more important than the actual poundage applied...IMO. Whatever your rifle seems to like stick with it and check it often.

I use stainless steel pillars set in Devcon Titanium putty and DD Ross bottom metal so I’m not worried about breaking or bending anything with the higher torque settings I use.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox and Rick, thanks. I think I'll try and call the Snap-On guy, and try and trade for an inch-lbs wrench. I don't think this one will even go as low as 5 ft-lbs.

Thanks again--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different people can screw harder:
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/bedding.html

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Customstox and Rick, thanks. I think I'll try and call the Snap-On guy, and try and trade for an inch-lbs wrench. I don't think this one will even go as low as 5 ft-lbs.

Thanks again--Don

Don,

Sears (Craftsman) also sells inch pound torque wrenches...but usually only from their catalog or web site. I use a Seekonk 1 to 75 inch/pound model. You can get them at Brownell’s for about $150 bucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, good info, I place an order with Brownells earlier today, I'll see if I can add a wrench.

Thanks--Don