Find
Notify
Tools

9.3*62 ..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
As I sit here and look at my VZ24 action and the price to get it done right I have to wonder if I wouldnt be better off buying a winchester donor rifle throw a new barrel and some open sights on it and call it good enough...

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or a CZ in 9.3x62 for $500 or $600...

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I should have mention that the VZ is a project from the heart - everything else should be left handed, my eye doc says my right eye is going south. But the price is right on the CZ's..

I should not get online when I am bored at work..

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If I wanted a 9.3X62 I would look real hard at the CZ. This is not a target round. Every CZ I have played with will give excellent hunting accuracy. I just can't see a reason to take a donor action plus the cost of installing a new barrel. Just the barrel and installation will be close to the cost of the CZ.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Win M70CF & a Lothar Walter barrel. You won't have to fight the scope mount height, trigger or safety issue that you see others faced with in the forums right now.
The M70 already has that desirable 3 position safety & a great trigger! The selection of ring height & bases coveres it all. A few dollars more for something that will last you a lifetime is a small price to pay.

PS: The resale value of a Win M70 in 9.3x62 will certainly be higher that a used CZ 550!
If you ever wanted to sale it for whatever reason.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, but every guy needs one nice mauser in his safe if for no other reason than nostalgia.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
32 Mausers are enough for me. thumb Almost! Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I am only 29 short of your loftly almost Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am happy with my cz 550 9.3x62 while it may not be a tricked out mauser it shoots good and is a solid rifle.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a neat acton, and the 9.3x62 should be a Mauser, anything else just isn't cricket....surface grind it, mount a new bolt, D&T, rebarrel, add iron sights and a stock for starters, from there on its your baby to add whatever your heart desires...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Ray on this one.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Atkinson:
and the 9.3x62 should be a Mauser, anything else just isn't cricket...

quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Gotta agree with Ray on this one.

Of course, my 9.3x62 came from Ray and was built on a Model 54 Winchester action...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's all in how you define "right." I feel your pain -- one of these days I'll build a proper 9.3x62 on a Mauser action, but money holds me back.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I wish I could afford to have a full blown mauser 9.3 to go with the 1909 .404 but I can only afford to have one of that kind of rifle. The cz is a very servicable rifle and has all the good quality's of a mauser at any rate with better mettalurgy !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
i also wish i could afford a custom 9.3 on a mauser action. i went with the cz 550 lux and really like it. gotta love that ugly humpback stock Big Grin however, i do agree that everybody needs at least one mauser based custom job. mine is a 98/22 action and lothar walther barrel in 6.5x57. can't wait for next deer season. cheers...bud

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Budiceale,

yes I agree one mauser custom needs to be in ones safe...................I went for a .404, stock work is about all that needs doing now.