New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Fire lap? Crown job?...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to update you all on my progress so far.

After this thread, I decided that I would give Winchester a shot before I did anything to rifle myslef. I sent it to them about a week before Christmas. Well, I just got it back today. It now has a scope and sporter barrel. They sent me the wrong damn gun! I shipped them a 22-250 M70 Heavy Varmint and get a 270 WSM Black Shadow back that has a Simmons scope on it. Not a fair trade in my books. Anyway, the paper work included a target, which was from my gun. The target is below. What do you think? They say within specs, which is 1-2" for them, and did nothing to the rifle. Is this what your rems and savages are shooting with factory loads? My totally stock 223 VLS puts the cheap ass white box Winchester ammo into 1/2-3/4" groups. Why can't this one? When I called Winchester, they currently have no idea where my rifle is.

Some of you have suggested bedding it. If I ever get it back, I may try that, but no more. I really don't feel like putting money into rifle at this point. I'm now wondering if I made a wrong decision and should have gone with the Savage or Rem in the first place. Oh well, lesson learned. [image]http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?url=http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p07c404ad3568b40c26c202942ce03936/f9b27170.jpg.orig.jpg&caption=22-250%20factory%20groups&id=4189221232[/image]

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since they cannot account for the whereabouts of your rifle 100% of the time tell them you will NOW only accept a new rifle or they can deal with your lawyer. So you get it back, how do you know it hasn't been sent to someone else like the one you got.

BTW, all my small bore CFs shoot 3/4" or better and that is generally with 3-9 leupold scopes and sporter weight barrels, nothing fancy.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suck at posting pictures on here. The picture of the groups didn't show up like I thought it would, but you can copy and past the URL and it should bring up the target.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot has happened since this thread started. I missed out it seems. Now it's into the customer service concerns!

On the copy and paste of urls I just learned to do it maybe? I cut off the http: stuff and just leave the www. with both ends clean. Here is the best advice I have read

www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=473162&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

I would have done the crown myself with just a larger bullet and compound. You can always get it cut by a smith if that makes it worse.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote