Find
Notify
Tools

Straddle floorplate?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Anyone know of a gunsmith offering a hinged floorplate that straddles the triggerguard bow for a Mark X Mauser?

(Jim Wisner's does not fit the Mark X)

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
which model floorplate do you have? there are some that have the sort of long skinny pivot plate and then there are some that have the shorter fatter pivot plate?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I believe it is the long skinny type, for late 70's vintage Whitworth with inside bow release.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at a Wisner Straddle Floorplate for a 1909 Guard, and also looking at a MarK X Mauser Triggerguard Floorplate for a Magnum Action that has the inside bow release, and it appears that a Wisner could be made to fit with a couple of spot welds and a few cuts with a milling machine.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks sir! I will try that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006,

I have one each of the straddle floorplates that were made by Dave Talley when he was making the fine furniture for custom guns.
Compared side by side they are exactly alike, lenght , width and thickness except the tongue on the '09 is wider than the Mark 10. So its do able by thinning down a '09 model tongue to fit.
Hope this helps.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manhasset

I wonder what this other one that I have is for.
Did Talley make them for more than just the 09 and the Mark X?

one of us
posted Hide Post

I dug out Dave Talley's brouhure that came with the floorplates and he only listed the '09 and Mark X straddle floorplates with a notation that they require a slight amount of hand fitting. This was a 1990 date and beside the floorplates and his lever detachable rings are many different swivel bases,grip caps, bolt knobs,trigger guards, express sights, ovals for 98 bolt stop and the English style ball swivels that I see Customstox always talk about. To bad they're no longer made.
Maybe the '09 Fp is a little short for the Magnum Action Tg?
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I pulled my old sample MK X guard and checked some dims.

The 1909 hinge width is .315 vs the Mk X of .240 wide

The Mk X length from the bottom edge of the bow to the inside front of the magazine is .100 longer than the 1909. This is due to the 30-06 magzine well and the MK X bow is a slightly different shape.

The 1909 floorplate will not work on the MK X.

Sorry to say due to the very low demand I can not justify making a new lathe fixture. The one for the CZ 550 floorplate took me 7 hours to build. Also I then need another milling machine fisture to hold the floorplate for the last four cuts. My floorplates are made from 12L14 steel which will take someone good with a TIG welder.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

You have a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my Talley FP's -

Hinge width- 09- .322
Mk. X- .252

Overall length from the end of plate to the end of the hinge - 09- 4.570
Mk. X- 4.618

Cover length - 09- 4.055