THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    ACGG04 Pics- Doug Turnbull, best case colored work

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACGG04 Pics- Doug Turnbull, best case colored work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
More pics from the show. Sadly I did not get to ask Doug if it would be all right to post these, so Doug if you see them and want them gone, or if he tells somebody else, just let me know.

Doug aside from being a nice guy, was kind enough to bring some of his rifles with him to show even though he didn't make it there till Sunday. Happily Jan got him a table and he set these up. now, I have many more pictures of other rifles at the show that have his work on them, the color case hardening. I would say from my informal survey that 80%+ of the guns there with color case hardened actions were done by Turnbull.

what strikes me about the case colors are how smooth they seem to be, mello colors that flow wonderfully together

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That's better than a poke in the eye!!

Thanks for posting them.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Dago

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for posting these photos. What beautiful top quality work.

KJK

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been to Turnbulls shop in NY. He has a nice little showroom and was there answering questions and spent a few minutes with me. They do beautiful work, some day I'd like to send him some scope rings and a mauser bolt shroud to do color case.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very very beautiful. I talked to Doug a the Dallas Safari show about coloring a Mauser 98 action but he advised against it. He did one for a friend a few years ago but apparently has second thoughts now, prefers to only do it on lower pressure cartridge receivers now.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure that he has some guidelines on deciding whether or not he will do it on certain guns. I know that he has developed a way of doing it on the modern steel used in Ruger no. 1's without making them brittle. And I know that I have a picture of a 505 gibbs done by Jerry Fisher that is color case hardened and if I remember right he said that it too was done by Doug, but it is a newer mauser action, some big commercial monster that I can't remember the name of. (my mind sometimes automatically forgets anything I can't afford!)

So I am hoping that when it comes time he won't mind doing my argentine. Just so you all know, he won't do barrels! :-) I asked if he had, not that I would get it done, just curiousity. Seems one of the problems with color case hardening is warpage, it can be handled in frames and receivers, but is too much for barrels.

Red

<Guest>
posted
to tell you the truth, I have seen some case hardening that is almost the equal of this work by Turnbull. I forget the name of the place, but it is out in Cody Wyoming. They make high wall look alike actions, and do some color casehardeing in house that was absolutely fantastic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago,
As well as being a really nice guy, your also quite the photographer! I don't remember what camera you had. Feel like letting us in on the details?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey StuC! It was great to meet you. Sorry we didn't meet up at dinner, I hope you found the big steak you were looking for.

The truth, lots and lots of pictures :-) I took 301 at the show, and only about 10 of those were of non gun stuff (the mountains and view from my room to show the fiancee).

I was using a digital Sony Mavica, the one that uses the mini-cd to record the photos. This is great from the standpoint that you can take more photos than you would ever need. The thing I have a hard time with is lighting, the digital cameras I have worked with, left to their own accord, will use the flash when it really isn't necessary. The pics you see here were not touched up by me at all, just resized (original was 1200 x 960 I believe). A couple of things that I did notice helped, when using the digital. On dark metal, the flash is great because it causes shadows to show, making it easier to see in the picture. I will post some pics later on of soem engraving on dark metal where this is very apparent.

the other thing I found was that some of the exhibitors, engravers especially, had bright lights on to help us see their work. This was great for eyes, bad for pics. I used the flash in these cases too, I found it canceled out the other light and actually cut down the reflection of their lights off the metal.

other than that, I took lots of double pics, one with flash one without. Another benefit of a camera with lots of capacity.

Red