New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Savage99: I'm sure this is not an 8mm, I just got the cerrosafe from Brownells and am ready to cast the chamber and a short section of bore in the process. As i wrote, I poured lead in the muzzle of this rifle and a 30-06 and they are just about identical. So it's a 30 something, Not a Krag or 30-30. The chamber cast will tell, I will let you know in a day or two. Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The photo's look like the rifle was buffed and reblued. Perhaps someone took the barrel off and ran a reamer in there?

I just put the hole gage into the muzzle of my 8.15X46R and the groove dia is .3115" and the bore is about .303" It was not easy to get an exact measurement on the narrow lands.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I bought a old Mauser 98 actioned sporter that is styled just like the pre-war Mauser sporters but i don't know what cartridge it fires. This one is unique, First off it has a typical mauser sporter stock profile but with no schnabel forend. The barrel is 24" with irons and the rear sight has one standing blade and two folding leafs with a gold bead front. The reciever appears to be a military but has no manufacturers marks and does not appear to be ground. It has stippling on the top of front ring, And bolt handle is straight down and not swept back with a pear shaped knob. Now comes the unique part, The barrel has a cutout at the breech like a model 70 for the extractor but not coned. Also the bolt face is larger than standard, It will take a rimmed round like 30-30. At first i thought magnum, but the chamber won't even accept a 30-06 past the shoulder. A tapered rimmed round fits better such as 303 british or 30-40 krag but only goes in halfway. The rimmed rounds act like they want to feed out of the magazine snapping up under the extractor but of course not chambering. Now the markings on the barrel are what looks like a crown with K.m.g. over N 12gr. These marks are above woodline. Now under the barrel are these marks stacked vertically-- 446 B.G. U 7.6mm 51 1/2 10/28 The B.G. letters both have a crown over them as do's the U. I am going to guess that the 7.6 means 30 caliber and the fifty one and a half is the powder charge. Also guessing that the N 12gr. means a 12 gram bullet weight. The only pictures i can offer are on Auction Arms # 6091017 as i can't post my own. The gun was posted as a 257 roberts but that is not the case. Any help identifing this would really be appreciated, Thanks in advance. Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would make a cast of the chamber (Brownells has the stuff) and take some measurments - then sit with down with "Cartriges of the World" and compare.

Orrrrr someone here will know exactly and save you some $$ and I will loke stupid for suggesting the hard way.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Euro designation for the 30-30 is 7.62x51R. The 7.6mmx51 1/2 markings on your rifle is damn close. Have you tried chambering a 30-30 round? Get some Cerrosafe (Brownells) and do a chamber cast, then you'll know for sure.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede,

I would go carefully about this. I am not so sure it's 8mm when a slug says it's .30! Another thing is that the seller says it's a 257 and that's what you paid for. Unless you want the rifle as an unusual rimmed gun for that price consider sending it back.

Another thing is that just because something is marked a caliber does not mean that it's marked right.

I have Lufin bore gages and can also make some lead slugs for you. I like to turn a cast lead bullet down so that there is only about 1/8" wide band left with the front and back of the slug at bore diameter. Thus it can be easily pushed the length of the bore without getting stuck.

I have 8.15X46R dies.