Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

converting a savage to long magnum
 Login/Join

posted
I have a savage 110gxp3 in 300 win mag, shoots like a dream and the best 519 ive ever spent on a rifle, scope, and sling. i have heard about how easy it is to switch barrels on a savage, but i would like to switch to a long mag caliber like 8mm rem mag. what is involved in installing the 3.66 inch box from midway? what else will need to be done to the rifle to make this work? also will a large shank barrel fit in the same action as a standard shank barrel? thanks for the imput

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Posts: 7 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You mill open the back of the action opening and then cut a slot to snap the new mag box in. Pretty simple.

Large shank? I don't understand what you're asking? All the 110s have the same size thread.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
as i understand it the WSM and RUM calibers have a larger shank barrel, also i have heard that the WSM calibers have a 3.1" box, any salt in this?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Posts: 7 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 27 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
You mill open the back of the action opening and then cut a slot to snap the new mag box in. Pretty simple.

Large shank? I don't understand what you're asking? All the 110s have the same size thread.

Nope, the RUM and WSM actions all have a larger thread size now. Savage also makes some heavy barreled target rifles with the large shank barrel also.

I have a 300WSM with interchangable bolt and barrel for a special large shank 22.250 PacNor supermatch barrel.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Several yrs back...Savage was building some s/shot 223s with large shank actions...1.118" opposed to the std 1.055"....they were available in 24" unfluted blue or SS heavy barrels...pre Accue trigger..CM solid bottom s/shot action...with an 'M' prefix...I believe they were left over ML actions..I currently have three of them..two with heavy Pac Nors & one still with the 24" ss factory tube..all were (are shooters)..yes the WSM rds are also built with the large shank actions..along with the new Target series...target from my first large shank 'M' series..needless to say I bought two more..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Larger threads. I wonder why? Doesn't surprise me that I haven't seen it; I try to avoid working on those ugly things anyway. Big Grin

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote