Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I love my Handi rifle 45-120, but I don't feel safe going over 40k PSI pressures in it. I'm interested in a Ruger #1 of the same caliber so I could load to whatever my shoulder could take. What would it cost (a guesstimate) to get a Ruger #1 and put a longer barrel in 45-120 on? The factory barrel is pretty short. 24 inches?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
If your Handi in 45-120 dosen't hurt enough. I would invite you to shoot my Ruger No3 45-70 with heavy loads. I think you would be impressed with the level of pain.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler:
I have shot a Ruger #1 that was rechambered to 45-120. I have fired many heavy recoiling rifles, but to tell you the truth I would never shoot it again. It flat out hurt. You were talking about the equivilant of a 6lb 460 Weatherby.
As to your question of getting one rebarreled, it seems a quick check of a few gunsmithing prices, around $600 give or take. I had a Ruger #1 rebarreled to 50-140 about 1982 or so and back then it cost me about $300 plus the cost of the barrel.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I typed these words on this forum:

quote:
I did a stress analysis on how much pressure my 45/70 handi rifle could take, and I proved to my satisfaction that it can take more than the brass. When I posted that on Marlin Talk, someone said my analysis was worthless, so I did a test to validate it. I chose Unique powder because it is a fast pistol powder that, in large quanities, gets the pressure very high. note, the same guy said my test is worthless, so a real lesson is should be learned from that about on line discussions about pressure.

45/70 work up with; 405 gr cast with lube bands, CCI 200 primers, Win brass, old Unique [dirty] powder, chamber well lubricated between firings with CLP for max bolt thrust.

Quickload calculation of pressure and velocity with 405 gr, Unique

shot 0) 15 gr, 24,700 psi, 1271 fps, no shot fired, listed for Quickload reference point only
shot 1) 18 gr, 33,217psi, 1403 fps, primer looks fine.
shot 2) 20 gr, 39,435 psi, 1485 fps, primer is fine
shot 3) 22 gr, 46,133 psi, 1563 fps, primer looks flat.
shot 4) 24 gr, 53,334 psi, 1637 fps, primer is flat.
shot 5) 26 gr, 61,067 psi, 1709 fps, primer is top hat and flowing, action popped open and case ejected on firing
shot 6) 28 gr, 69,366 psi, 1778 fps, primer is top hat and flowing, case head expansion .001", action popped open and case ejected on firing
shot 7) 30 gr, 78275 psi, 1846 fsp, case head expansion .0015" action popped open and case ejected on firing, some leading in the muzzle.
shot 8) 32 gr, 87,841 psi, 1911 fps, case head expansion .0025", case head separating where case head is flowing into the extractor, action popped open, some leading in the muzzle, and case ejected on firing, primer is spreading out .010"

There was no change in headspace, but I had to stop the work up because of case head separation where the case head flowed into the extractor.

Reference loads:

1) "Loads for the 45/70" from the H.P.White laboratory via "American
Rifleman" 1950~1968 via "NRA Handloader's Guide" 1969 says:
405 gr Rem S.P., 17.5 gr Unique, 1286 fps, 25,240 pounds pressure, for 1886 Win

2) "Lyman's 47th" 1992 says:
400 gr cast, 16.5 gr Unique, 1286 fps, 27,000 cup, for 1886 Win

3) "Lyman's 47th" 1992 says:
385 cast gr cast, 17.5 gr Unique, 1411 fps, 38,500 cup, for Ruger #1

From left to right, not fired, shot 8, shot 7, shot 6, shot 5, shot 4, shot 3, shot 2, shot 1 -

There was a lot of leading on the last few shots.

I now know why the action popped open. The mass of the action release lever was accelerated forward relative to the receiver.
I did not have the rifle against my shoulder. The butt was against my left palm and I pulled the trigger with my right hand. The rifle was allowed to recoil a couple feet of distance. The rifle might have broken my collar bone if I had shouldered those rounds.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Interesting...

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Tyler --

Talk to Gary Reeder in Flagstaff; he built my 9,3 #1.

http://www.reedercustomguns.co...l_custom_ruger_1.htm

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Someday! Looks like I'll team the throat longer and get a bit more speed, being young and broke is no fun.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger #1 in .45-70 many years ago and loaded it with 50 grs. of IMR-4198 and a 500 gr. cast gas check. You couldn't keep the rifle in your shoulder on firing offhand. It also shot 14" low no matter how far up I adjusted the Weaver K2.5. Later, I had Barry Darr replace the factory barrel with a 29" half Octagon half round barrel about .900" at the muzzle and chambered for .45-120. It would blow up .405 gr. Remington bullets liked varmint bullets. We (my friend and I) settled on 96 grs. of WW785 and a 500 gr. Hornady. Although the rifle weighed 11 lbs., the recoil could only be described as "vicious". This was all off the bench. After placing a sandbag between butt and shoulder, it was manageable and very accurate. I enjoy this rifle (with reduced loads) to this day. Have fun!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Masterrifleman...any interest in getting rid of that gun?! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the trouble of calculating that my 45/70 Handi Rifle was stronger than the brass. One shot of reduced trapdoor loads combined the stabbing recoil pain with the big push way backwards. I did not fire another round for over a year.

No way am I firing a 'make the brass flow into the extractor' load with the little rifle against my shoulder.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
My Handi does not hurt at all with 405's at 2500 fps or 500's at 2200 fps. It just pushes, hard.