New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunny Hill Drop box Mag for Model 70 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have recently bought a Stainless Synthetic Model 70 in 375 H&H and will restock it with a McMillan Synthetic stock amongst other improvements, yet to be decided.

Do Sunny Hills drop box mags increase in the Mag capacity to 4 or 5 rounds? I would not mind a 5 round mag like the CZs.

Could anyone tell me about these drop box mags, how successful they are and any general hints or advice and also where the best place is to buy them.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG,

I think you are only going to get 4 down, but may be wrong. I just a bought a Sunny-hill drop box for the 404 I'm building, I should get it next week.

Here is the link, you should be able to tell how many down.
http://www.sunny-hill.com/products/assemblies/post64model70/745.html

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG, you're gonna get 4 down and 1 in the tube. If it takes more than that to do the job, then a couple of ideas:

1. Get a bigger caliber
2. Save the last one for yourself

Just kiddin'

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I've used two of them for the .416 Rem. Mag., and they increase magazine capacity to four, which isn't going to be any different for the .375 I suspect.

One has to open up the hole for the trigger for a Mod. 70 but the fit and finish are very good IMO. Also, the magazine box has to be ground down. The instructions talk about spot welding the box to the trigger guard, but that is nonsense. I did that the first time and McMillan wanted to send it back to me w/o doing the stock. I talked them into just grinding off the two spot welds.

Brownells sells them too. I can get you one cheaper than retail. Send me a PM if interested.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M70 stainless .375 H&H came from their custom shop with a McMillan Super Grade stock - no drop box mag - and it holds 4 down, compared with the standard 3 down of the wood/blued Safari Express.

You might give Leslee Dengler (finally remembered her last name) at the Custom Shop a call and see if she can tell you how they do it. I've never measured anything but I think it is just a wider mag box which is allowed by the strength of the McMillan stock - it can be inletted wider inside than a comparable wooden stock.

Now if you just want a drop box mag then no problem, but thought I would mention this if you were looking to save a little money.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks guys, I will do a little more investigating - Will, thanks for your offer, I may take you up on that. I will see the gunsmith who is doing the work next week and take it from there.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a stock 375 H&H Stainless M70 Classic. I noticed the follower spring has a big loop at the bottom that prevents the follower from lowering a certain amount. I used another thinner follower and a spring shaped more like that found in mausers (I think its from a remington). I get four down with room to spare (not enough for a fifth though). It feeds the first three round very smoothly and reliably. The fourth round has always fed reliably but not as smooth as the first three if you cycle the bolt slowly. I hope that helps.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote