Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Finishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted
Ok I read and did a search on this a found some good info. Daly's products seem to be endorsed by more then a few of the top Smiths here.

Here's the deal I've got a good tung oil finish on the stock. Following Sterling davenports instructions from Rifelsmithing. And ad-libbing from the posted info.

Good meaning wet sanded with tung oil to fill pores in wood from 220 up to 600 allowed to dry completely between coats and grits. Keeping all edges sharp.

The stock is now a 600 grit finish and is damn smooth. I'm just having trouble getting a bit more shine on it. Right now is just a bit shinier then a matt finish. If i use lemon oil I get the finish I want but that don't last it's just a bandaid.

That Ruger No 1 that was posted recently has the stock finish I'm looking for. Not high gloss just a bit shinier then it is now.

Is it just a matter of a few more coats hand rubbed and polished out?? or something else???
I'm a about a half step above a novice when it comes to wood work and finish. Although I'm proud of what I have attained so far.

So what is the process of polishing the finish to get it a bit shinier

I'm also well on my way to F-ing up the stock by trying to checker it for the first time. I'm practicing on scrap pieces of walnut before I try it on the stock. And I'm taking my sweet time.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get to the stage you are at now, the tung oil finish gets a lot tougher to work on. The technique I use is to cut the tung oil back 50 percent with thinner, put just a few drops in a dish and rub it on with my fingers. About 10 drops will do a stock. Let it dry for a day, and repeat. Keep this up for about 3 weeks and the stock will be shiny, glossy. You can then rub it out slightly to remove the shine and it will be just about where you want it.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1
After 600 grit, I dip a finger print or two in Dalys and rub it in. Seals up the 600 grit rub and you get that dull sheen look.

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.
I know it's a long drawn out process I was sanding and coating applying tung oil for about six weeks.
Can't rush this stuff but it nice worth it.
I'll give it try
Thanks Again

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Dont you just love the smell when you walk into where you have been putting the tung oil onto your stock. I bring mine into the house when the sanding part of the job is done just so the smell can permeate through the all the rooms.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That or linseed oil
Love the smell but few others in the house share my enthusiasm for the smell.
I also carry a fondness of Machine oil, and taping fluids, after twenty years it grows on you.

I can drive through an industrial complex and tell you if there is a machine shop around and what kind of shop it is just buy smell alone.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand KC. My shop has a distinctive smell and in my reloading room I poor a little Hoppes Nitro on a shop cloth just for the smell. In the old days in West Texas I loved the smell of the oil patch. Guess that I am weird.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Like Hoppes too. I wish Sweets smelled like that.

How about Leaded Premium Remember that???
Gasoline gives me a headache now but back when we still had leaded

Did this thread take a left turn or what?

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Started to keep my mouth shut but here goes. I have had good luck with what you are trying to achieve by wet sanding through 1200 grit with dembart checkering oil,with a couple of finish coats consisting of 2 or 3 drops rubbed in. Good luck

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

posted Hide Post
I have had good luck at that point by using Brownells stock rubbing compound to put a bit more shine on that finish. It sure is a good feeling when you get to that point....

Good luck.

Posts: 15 | Location: Mead, Colorado | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I understand KC. My shop has a distinctive smell and in my reloading room I poor a little Hoppes Nitro on a shop cloth just for the smell. In the old days in West Texas I loved the smell of the oil patch. Guess that I am weird.
Butch

You guys. Big Grin Remind me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
When you tire of all that stock rubbing try some carnuba wax, keeps out all that ails wood and metal and leaves a shine.
When my wife switched from Channel #5 to Hoppes #9 thats when our family started. Nine moths later............

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a huf on the old hoppe's #9 and read your post big earl. you got me good!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssdave:
When you get to the stage you are at now, the tung oil finish gets a lot tougher to work on. The technique I use is to cut the tung oil back 50 percent with thinner, put just a few drops in a dish and rub it on with my fingers. About 10 drops will do a stock. Let it dry for a day, and repeat. Keep this up for about 3 weeks and the stock will be shiny, glossy. You can then rub it out slightly to remove the shine and it will be just about where you want it.

dave

I would do exactly the same but for gloss use Waterlox varnish 50/50 with mineral spirits juast as described above.

Before you do that...use some 5F Brownells rubbing compound on it.

The after the hand-rubbed Waterlox finish has dried a few days...buff it with paste wax.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay so here is something I do in my shop and have been doing it for years. Every morning I sprinkle a little Hoppes around the showroom and alway leave a bottle opened in a corner. Smiler

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote