New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt sako ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a rifle tody that was a sako action with a stock and barrel marked Colt.It was a .308 It looks like Colt bought the actions and colt or a contractor barreld and stocked them. Anybody know if they are decent rifles,
And mabye when they were prouduced ?
thanks ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly.they were barreled and stocked by Colt, and were sold ca. 1959-61. I believe they were called the "Coltsman". You might be able to find more info on them more quickly by "googling" that term.

I just read about them again a few days ago, while going back through bound annual volumes of American Rifleman. Seems to me the
Dope Bag write-up on them was in the 1961 volume, but could have been a year or two earlier.

They were a very nice rifle for a commercial product of the day.

I also believe that, as with Browning rifles of the time, they came with two different actions, depending on which calibers one was looking at. Some, I think, were built on FN Mausers, and others on Sako actions.

Here are pictures of both kinds, from the Cabela's Gun Library:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/gun_lib...0&QueryText=Coltsman

Most of the ones I have seen in person had very blonde stocks.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info !
The one I looked at today was definatly a sako short action. The stock was frankly rather unapealing and the barrel was not at all like on my .243 Browning sako.
But it had that nice smooth sako action and in .308 I bet it was a shooter and it was 485.00.
I might ty and get ahold of the guy , he had 4 rifles i wanted and I came prety close to making a deal for one,
But the 2 sako .308s (1 is the colt and the other a strait sako) Are sticking in my mind.
mabye I will have to try to get ahould of the guy, thanks again for the info...tj3006

freedom1st