New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel mounted sling swivel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering using one of these barrel mounted swivels from NECG.

Never having used one before my concern is about the strength of the joint using soft solder. I've seen older sporters with this setup but what I've read leads me to believe that they were silver soldered or brazed on not soft soldered.

Thx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t have any experience with these but if you plan on carrying ‘old Bessie‘ at sling arms you certainly don’t want the front swivel coming off cuz that just plays hell with muzzles and scopes at the end of that downward arc to the big rock you just stepped over.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familier with that type of mounting. I'm sure put on properly it would do fine. I perfer the barrel band.

And to Ricks point, when a sling comes loose its not pretty. I had one come loose on a Browning BBR 20 plus yrs ago and it hit the rack on huntin rig and the stock broke like a baseball bat.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I would go barrel band. I wouldnt trust that other thing for a second.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A sling swivel can be exposed to quite a bit of force, and has been mentioned, a failure can result in bad things happening, included having your loaded gun pointed at you!!!

Go barrelband, even if the solder fails, you don't drop your gun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
I'm not familier with that type of mounting. I'm sure put on properly it would do fine. I perfer the barrel band.

And to Ricks point, when a sling comes loose its not pretty. I had one come loose on a Browning BBR 20 plus yrs ago and it hit the rack on huntin rig and the stock broke like a baseball bat.

My rifle made it fine through my one and only experience with a front swivel coming off...which is far more than I can say for the nose and cheek bone, and collar bone of the guy marching behind me at the time. Smiler Did you know that the front swivel on M14’s is only held on with two little rivets and a couple of washers?... Neither did I!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote