Notify
Tools

Can a 300 Win Mag be re-chambered to...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
...308 Norma Magnum?

I'd like a 300 Magnum rifle, but being a handloader, would prefer the longer case neck of the Norma version.

What would have to be done? Could I buy a rifle chambered in 300 Win Mag, send it to the gunsmith, then get it back in 308 Norma? Would any other modifications be needed?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
The .300 Weatherby and .300 H&H have long necks.

<allen day>
posted
Don't waste your time.

After literally thousands of handloaded rounds fired through various .300 Winchester Magnum rifles over the years, plus over 100 big game animals in the salt through the use of this cartridge since 1994, I can tell you in all candor that the ol' short-neck alarums are crockery of awesome proportions, and were created out of conjecture - nothing else. Somehow, this has remained one of the enduring old wives' tales of the shooting world, but as time has passed, this propaganda as rightfully subsided.

Even Nosler produced .308" diameter bullets with resistance groves back in the 1960s under the assumption that these would relieve "problems" that were just bound to crop up due to that bloody-old short neck. After a few years, it was realized that these grooves weren't necessary in the first place, and the feature was wisely dropped.

I've never met any serious user of this cartridge who has ever reported the slightest bit of trouble with the neck length of the .300 Winchester. It's plenty long to hang onto any appropriate bullet that you'd care to employ, and I've tried just about everything.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I "can" be done, but you have to have the barrel set back, and then rechambered with the 308 Norma reamer.

The whole deal is not worth the trouble.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 Norma Mag was designed to fit in a standard action. Most people took a 30-06 rifle they already owned and had that rifle rechambered to .308 Norma Mag. In fact, according to the Speer Reloading Manual, Norma �lent� reamers to guns smiths so they could perform the operation. If my memory serves me the .308 Norma predates the .300 Win. So, at the time if you wanted a magnum rifle but didn�t want to buy a .300 H&H (which needs a magnum length action, not a standard action) and you owned a 30-06 you could just have it rechambered and get a magnum gun. I hunted with a rifle that was converted in this manner this past fall. So, if you had to have a .308 Norma Mag go get a 30-06 and then rechamber that rifle.

However, the 308 Norma Mag and the 300 Win Mag are almost ballistically identical. If you look through a reloading manual both cartridges produce almost the same velocities for bullets of the same weight. Add this to the fact that 308 Norma Mag ammunition and brass are difficult at best to find compared to the 300 Win Mag which is very common. They are both belted magnums and therefore currently out of style. And the fact that the 300 Win Mag has a reputation for good accuracy despite the short neck (as mentioned above) and I don�t see why you would want a 308 Norma Mag instead of a 300 Win Mag.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
this is like arguing between a 7 mauser, and a 275 rigby...
if you really want to, just have a pacnor done in 308 norma/30-338..
i like the 300 win.. especially for 220s

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May be a .338 win mag could be a better choice??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
The short neck is only one of the reasons. Everybody has a 300 Win Mag, barely anybody has a 308 Norma. I don't want a cartridge everybody else has. The extra cost of brass isn't that bad. Norma brass is of very high quality, so I feel it's money well spent.

Would it be easier to get a 30-06 re-chambered? That would almost be better, because the rifle would weigh less. What else would have to be done? The bolt face would have to be opened, any work to the magazine?

P.S., as much as I'd like a 338 Win, I feel it's too much for deer, and I already got a 416 Rem for the big stuff. I have a 7mm Rem Mag too. This rifle would be my back-up rifle, and I'd use it for long range deer hunting.

[ 06-29-2002, 02:40: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want something different try the 30 Short Wby. It's made off of the 270 or 7mm Wby. necked to 30 cal. I had one and it used just about the same loads as a 30/338. Used it awhile, then sold it and got a old M70 30/06 and rechambered it to a 300 Win. mag. I can walk in the store and buy ammo if I want. Much better deal. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote