Find
Notify
Tools

Need help from Mauser Guru's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted
I found a Yugo Mauser that had been made into a .243 Win. I bought it for the action. I never fired it as a .243. (never fire a donor rifle) I made it into a .284 Win. The first time I fired it (factory ammo) the bolt was very difficult to lift. My first thought was receiver lug set back. It shown some signs of set back, so I trued the receiver lugs and the rear lug. It had no positive effect, the bolt still stuck after firing, smooth as silk before. What am I missing?

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
cocking ramp?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
May want to check headspace again. And I'm curious: How did you "true the receiver lugs"?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
May want to check headspace again. And I'm curious: How did you "true the receiver lugs"?

I checked, the headspace is dead on.

What I did was locate the receiver in a four jaw and machined the receiver cam faces as well as the end of the receiver just to be sure they are parallel. I only took 2 or 3 thousands and they all cleaned up. It probably isn't the cocking cam as it is tight before the cam is engaged. True, I may have removed the case, however, that wouldn't show up in just one firing. I don't think it is a true Yugo as it looks to new and no marking. It is the right size. however.........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Check the firing pin internal interlock; I have had those that interfered with the bolt and needed their cams filed/angled a bit.
That is why I would remove the FP assy to try to isolate the problem.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Excess headspace sure as hell will make the bolt harder to open. The case stretches beyond its ability to recover, binding the bolt.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Dry fire the gun and see if it duplicates the problem. If not...bring out the wallet.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tapper2:
I found a Yugo Mauser that had been made into a .243 Win. I bought it for the action. I never fired it as a .243. (never fire a donor rifle) I made it into a .284 Win. The first time I fired it (factory ammo) the bolt was very difficult to lift. My first thought was receiver lug set back. It shown some signs of set back, so I trued the receiver lugs and the rear lug. It had no positive effect, the bolt still stuck after firing, smooth as silk before. What am I missing?

Smooth as silk before what?

What happens if you dry fire? If smooth to open then nothing to do with the act of cocking. What happens when chambering a live round but not firing and then lifting the bolt, if smooth as silk then that eliminates an extractor nose problem. If the bolt is hard to lift only after firing a cartridge then has to be headspace/setback related. Not likely to be a cartridge pressure issue with factory ammo. What does a fired primer look like? Excessively flattened, backed out, flow into firing pin hole in bolt?

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tapper2:
Smooth as silk before what?

What happens if you dry fire? If smooth to open then nothing to do with the act of cocking. What happens when chambering a live round but not firing and then lifting the bolt, if smooth as silk then that eliminates an extractor nose problem. If the bolt is hard to lift only after firing a cartridge then has to be headspace/setback related. Not likely to be a cartridge pressure issue with factory ammo. What does a fired primer look like? Excessively flattened, backed out, flow into firing pin hole in bolt?

It only happens after being fired. A dummy round doesn't do it after dry firing. The fired case, once it is removed, looks normal, no primer cratering or excessive flattening.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Check the firing pin internal interlock; I have had those that interfered with the bolt and needed their cams filed/angled a bit.
That is why I would remove the FP assy to try to isolate the problem.

I will give this a try and let you know what I find.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only seen it happen one time, but when you squared the receiver and cam faces, did you square the bolt face to these as well? I had a mauser that did the same thing and I finally had to square the bolt face. Highly unlikely, but it hapened to me. When the round goes into the chamber, it is just held there by the bolt. When it is fired, it then expands on to the bolt face as well as chamber. If the bolt face is not square to the chamber, then the round is sort of "cockeyed" after firing. Not much, but just enough to make extraction somewhat harder.

Like I said, probably a very remote possibility, but it happened to me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A rough chamber could do it. Makes it difficult to begin primary extraction. What do fired cases look like compared to unfired? Any scratches or hazing?

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I've only seen it happen one time, but when you squared the receiver and cam faces, did you square the bolt face to these as well? I had a mauser that did the same thing and I finally had to square the bolt face. Highly unlikely, but it hapened to me. When the round goes into the chamber, it is just held there by the bolt. When it is fired, it then expands on to the bolt face as well as chamber. If the bolt face is not square to the chamber, then the round is sort of "cockeyed" after firing. Not much, but just enough to make extraction somewhat harder.

Like I said, probably a very remote possibility, but it happened to me.

Larry, That is a possibility. I didn't check that, but I will now and report back....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
A rough chamber could do it. Makes it difficult to begin primary extraction. What do fired cases look like compared to unfired? Any scratches or hazing?

Bobster, I just check fired rounds and no frosting or scratches. I scoped the chamber and it looks good.

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Primary extraction in Mausers is initiated by the bolt root contacting the sloped edge of the rear bridge. Is yours contacting properly?

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that a couple thousandths of case expansion could cause a drag on the extractor tip? Your .284's base of the case is wider than the .243 by about .030". May as well check extractor tip for excess flex (Duane Wiebe recommends .005" flex). A case darkened with a black magic marker will "tell the truth" after you fire one off and extract it. Raw brass doesn't show everything and a good magnifying glass can blow away a lot of smoke. Good luck.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote