New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Other" Charles Daly Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Doing some camera work and thought I would share. A Charles Daly made in Germany Circa 1932 (unknown maker), caliber 7x57mm, marked “Prussia†long after there was no Prussia, capitalizing on the name that sold so many shotguns. They only sold these for a short time and I don’t believe they made much over a dozen of them. They were offered in caliber 7x57, 250-3000 (K-Action) and in 30-06. Has what I think is an unusual engraving on the floorplate and trigger guard of dogs and ducks, more at home on a shotgun. As someone who can look out the window now and then and see what Moose really looks like that is a strange Moose on the receiver ;-).

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look like any moose that I saw in Anchorage or Fairbanks when I lived there. I still would like it a little better than the later Chas. Daly.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, but after seeing that moose I can understand why they went with the dogs and ducks.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Love the rifle except for Bullwinkle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I think the Moose was done as a way to force a guy to scope it. Big Grin What a perfect spot for a scope base, huh?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats a nice gun,maybe the moose was his first gun engraving.the dogs and ducks look good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fine classic, is the bolt handle longer than normal or just the angle of the photo?
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Bulwinkel looks like he's had a really
tough day.

What is that object drawn over the right ear?
Looks like a piece of 3/8 rod bent into a "U"
shape and the ends sharpened to points. (?)

RG

Posts: 315 | Location: central arizona | Registered: 05 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Fine classic, is the bolt handle longer than normal or just the angle of the photo?
Bob

It's a normal bolt. Here is a much better Moose thanks to Mr. Kornbrath.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The Alg of Europe don't look too much different than that engraving. they are a lot different in many ways to the NA Moose.

How about this Euro:

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would say that Wyoming/Shirasi moose are more similar to European Elch than to the other North American varieties.

Moose here in Maine are huge by Wyoming standards.

That and those Wyo moose have more of a horse-ish looking body. Like those moose in Europe.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how much for moose,dogs,ducks and rifle w/scope??

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote