New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have bought my step son a checkering set for Christmas and was wandering is there any sites or places that sells stocks that are cracked or otherwise no good that could be used to practice checkering and refinishing. I know he will have to start on something flat to begin with but I know he will bug the heck out of me to put those cutters on a stock. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 133 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 18 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Robe763 - I will dig in my scrap bin and see if I have anything suitable.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reply sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a VZ 24 stock you can have.
recoil@optonline.net

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks email sent

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
When I was learning to checker, I found it very useful to practice on axe, hatchet, maul, saw handles, etc. I had no luck finding old stocks where I lived. Frowner

First one was uuuuugly, but they got better! I improved quite a few such woodworking and gardening tools belonging to several neighbours, before deciding that I did not have the patience to become really good.

You are definitely correct to practice a lot first!

I was a teenager then, but it now more than thirty years later: On a visit to the old neighbourhood, it was quite fun to still see several of my learning attempts still lurking in various garages and tool boxes! Smiler

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I practiced on a couple of tool handles too, then did a few cheap .22s, found out I could do a fairly decent job of checkering - if I used borders - but that it took me twenty times as long as a pro and I was not getting any faster. So quit. Fifty years ago. May still have the tools somewhere.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are pleanty of turkish mauser stocks to be had, I have a couple around. shoot me a note if you still need some.

csam00000@netscape.net

Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts!

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote