THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Please help identify this low swing Mauser safety

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help identify this low swing Mauser safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
This is on my 1950's commercial FN action. I have not be able to find pics of one anywhere else. Was this safety commercially available at some point from FN or another company? Or did the gunsmith make it? He's still alive, not sure if he will remember this it's been almost 60 years since he originally made this rifle for my dad.

I like the bulk/size of it. More substantial than other ones on the market today.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Kind of looks like one of the early one piece Buehler safeties that has been checkered but I won't swear to that.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
All the commercial FN Mauser pics I can find have a smaller/thinner low swing safety on the left side.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't identity it , but there was a time in this country that about every homeowner with a few tools could make about anything , kids birthday gifts , radios , generators , yes and even gun parts .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
This is just my guess: It looks like a standard military safety has had a new lever added to it and the third position ground off.

I wish I had it in hand. The photos seem to lack something.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote