New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engraver recommendation needed:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to find an engraver, a good one, to do some gold restoration work on a very historical rifle that is in driving distance of Cleveland, Ohio. The owner does not want to ship the parts or rifle, I don’t blame him. You may if you wish write me privately at, mjpetrov@acasalaska.net

Trivia Question: Can you name the author and title of the book written about this rifle?

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Would the K.V. Painter be Kendall Painter who built the New Arusha Hotel. He was quite a big game hunter and contemporary of Theodore Rooseveldt.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It very well could be the same K.V. Painter, When L.R. Canfield took this rifle to Africa he hunted out of Arusha, Tanganyika. The book written about Canfield and this rifle makes no mention of Painter that I remember, it's been years ago that I read the book. This rifle is also illustrated in J.V. Howe’s “The Modern Gunsmith†Vol-I p-242, again only Canfields name is used. After a letter and photos from the new owner was the first time I learned that this rifle was a gift from Painter. I need to take the time and reread the book.

I just did a quick search and found that Painter who built the Hotel was from Ohio as well as Howe the maker and Canfield, so it all fits together and would make an interesting story.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Geoffrey Gournet is in Easton, Pennsylvania (on the Delaware River.)

He seems to be very good from what I have read and seen.

It's not right around the block, but if the rifle is very important to the owner, this chap might be the ticket he needs.
http://www.gournetusa.com/

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would that be the rifle from A Riflemans Progress, by Christian Ellis Lenz? If so, that is a very nice find.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Would that be the rifle from A Riflemans Progress, by Christian Ellis Lenz? If so, that is a very nice find.

John

You win, had there been a prize you would have won, I neat book although not well known.

It's very rewording when a rifle like this shows up. The owner had no idea of the history or who made it and then be able to reestablish it’s provenance. From each classic pre-war maker I have a list of the “ONE†rifle I like to locate from each, this was the Howe rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to go back and re-read my book. I didn't recall Ellis mentioning who had built Canfields rifle. Thanks for sharing, do you have any more pictures of the rifle?

I really enjoy Ellis's stories of Camp Perry. I've been going to perry every year for the last 20 so much of what he relates is very familiar to me, yet so different. Imagine, showing up at your scheduled time, being handed a box of ammo, having someone assigned to score and pull your target for you, then going back to the hut for a short nap before your next scheduled firing time. Much different from today when you are on the range at 6:00 AM and you are pulling targets, scoring, and doing a little shooting till late in the afternoon.

John Holliger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, Do you have his other book "Muzzle-Flashes"? If not, I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in American firearm history.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, got the big book. I am the one who got the Rodgers 1922 Springfield that is illustrated in Muzzle Flashes from Monte.

The books makes mention of Canfields challenges with the open sights. He must have finally gave in and added the cocking piece sight.

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
gournetusa.com

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote