New
Find
Notify
Tools

BDL to ADL - What do I need?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a Remington 700 BDL. I've ordered a synthetic stock in the ADL configuration since I want a blind magazine. Other than a trigger guard are there any parts I will need once the stock arrives? Thanks

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need the ADL follower, follower spring, ADL magazine box, front guard screw, ADL rear guard screw, and magazine tab attachment screw.

I just did this changeover myself. Shoot an email to Brownell's detailing your project and they'll supply you with the part numbers. (I didn't keep them.)

I had to get the magazine box from Numrich as they were on backorder from Brownell's.

I also replaced the front action screw as the replacement stock had a bushing that the factory wood did not.

Brownell's tech service really made the conversion easy for me.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<terry byler>
posted
All you really need is the adl trigger guard and the front screw for the adl trigger guard.Have done many of these both ways,the spring,follower and actions screws are all the same,the bdl magazine box is not as deep,but if you bend the corners where it fits tight in the action,it won't fall down in the box opening.Probably best to get another box,but iv'e used the bdl with no problem,just get it good and tight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ADL screws I received were shorter than the BDL screws my rifle had from the factory. When I tried the conversion initially with the BDL screws, they were too long by approximately 3/16" and bound things up.

Perhaps it was simply different tolerances between the McMillan stock and the factory piece?

Another intersting aspect was I could never get a good fit with my allen wrenches and the factory BDL screws. The wrench was difficult to seat in all the way. The replacement ADL screws fit just fine. Strange?!

Are there differences in various production years with Remington 700s?

Thanks.

~Holmes

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys have the conversion parts just laying around, I'd like to convert my ADL to BDL!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a tendency to hoarde firearm parts and often never use them again. No sense having them gather dust if someone else can use them.

Shoot me an email and we'll get you squared away.

~Holmes

one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. I need eduacating - why convert from the BDL to the ADL - why give up the hinged magazine? On a Mod 722 I have I replaced that stamped ugly trigger guard with a BDL triggerguard/hinged magazine for a 700 BDL short action. I certainly like unloading the rifle by dropping the magazine vs running thru the action. I know you guys have a reason for this. Thanks

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes

Thanks for the offer, I sent you an e-mail.

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mostly it is just a matter of choice. If you are shooting a weighted class then it makes a big difference. The ADL is the way to go. The BDL is definately prettier. Hadn't thought about adding a BDL trigger guard to my 721. Its due for a new stock. Might try it.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rifleman1:
O.K. I need eduacating - why convert from the BDL to the ADL - why give up the hinged magazine? On a Mod 722 I have I replaced that stamped ugly trigger guard with a BDL triggerguard/hinged magazine for a 700 BDL short action. I certainly like unloading the rifle by dropping the magazine vs running thru the action. I know you guys have a reason for this. Thanks

The stock I purchased, used, just happened to be an ADL. It was no difference to me as this is strictly a rat rifle and I single feed only. I added a benchrest-style follower which helps single feeding and protects the long seated cartridges. I do not run anything through the magazine.

For general hunting use, I think the BDL is preferable. Keep in mind my experience with Remingtons is limited as this is my first project M700. I have been a M70 fan for many years.

And yes, I am eating a bit of crow from friends who find it humorous that I now have a Remington in my stable - I spent many an hour extolling the virtues of Winchesters! [Eek!]

Regards,

~Holmes

<Big Stick>
posted
I prefer to build a custom,in ADL configuration. I like the simplicity and strength. The BDL Factory bottom "metal" is not much force,in comparison(strength).

To unload the ADL,I point muzzle upwards,in a safe direction and snick a cartridge from the magazine,about half the bolt travel(once it clears feed rails). Then I open the bolt all the way,tip action to starboard and catch loaded round in my left hand,that is wrapped loosely under belly of stock. I've done 10,000 times and could do it in my sleep.

I never actually close the bolt on the loaded round.

If you have an ADL stock and prefer the BDL inlet and metal,retro-fitting it is a snap. Place bottom metal on belly of stock,with trigger bow up. Index bottom metal to stock,via the two action screws. Trace outline of opened bottom metal,then open it up with a Dremel. 5 minute job,at best.

Multiple options,but the ADL is my favorite configuration...................

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some who will make the claim the ADL configuration leads to a more accurate rifle due to a stiffer stock and more consistent action screw torque. I don't know for sure but I prefer the ADL, they are my most accurate rifles. You may want to delete the front trigger guard screw or the middle screw as some call it, it binds the action if overtightened. I make a blind screw by filing a notch in the screw shank for an E clip even with the inside of the triggerguard. Then cut the screw off about .050" above the notch. E clip the screw head to your triggerguard to fill the hole. Hope I explained it right. The ADL triggerguard will work fine using the rear action screw. I believe Big Stick does the same for his ADLs but also epoxys the triggerguard to the stock for added strength. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info.

There are a few reasons why I want to go to an ADL:
1. I generally carry a rifle with my hand in the same place as the magazine. The floor plates never seem to be as solid as I would like. They tend to move slightly or rattle (actually tick with pressure)...just not like holding a solid stock. I have this same opinion of both Remington and Winchester, however, the two Winchesters I've owned were not as bad.

2. The BDL trigger guard and floor plate from Remington seem petty cheap. I plan on adding a steel ADL trigger guard.

3. Unloading the gun doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I don't load a magazine while at the range and very rarely empty the magazone on hunting trips. Here in Alaska, most of my hunting is on extended trips so I generally load the magazine at the start of the trip and unload when I'm done. I'll take a cartrige in and out of the chamber as the conditions dictate, but the magazine usually stays loaded.

None of these reasons are too great. I guess I just prefer the simplicity of the blind mag.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So would it be fair to say that the cheaper rem ADL synthetic rifles are by far the better value rifle if one were to but either a BDL or ADL. In Australia there is about $300-$400AUS differnce in price.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for that kind of money PC, I would definately say yes. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote