New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat versus pointed checkering cost?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, I was just wondering what the cost difference usually is for a flat checkering job versus a standard pointed checker. Am I right you can still get checkering done for 200-250?

which guns does it typically look best on, more classic sporters in the british style?

pics always appreciated Wink

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I right you can still get checkering done for 200-250?

I bet the flat will cost you more. Seems to me that it would be harder to do.

Don't know if Sherry Abraham is still doing work. Her 4 panel is around $230. Ahlman's has several patterns under $250 I've never used them others on here have. A full wrap is going to be more in the $400+ range.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it you may wish to check with Ahlman's out of Minn.seems that thay do checkering inhouse and are also resonable costwise

Posts: 16 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim Smith-Lyon at classiccheckering.com.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who offers flat top checkering? I am having an issue finding some one.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
Who offers flat top checkering? I am having an issue finding some one.

Order it sharp then sand it down Big Grin stir

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've talked to a couple well known checkering people. They will not do flat checkering. Be careful as many do not know how to do it properly. It ain't just pushing the tool through and quit when it's flat. I doubt you could get it done cheaper than $600.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I like "flat top" and my Smith prefers that. Whether or not he adjust the price I would not know.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. How about a picture of the checkering.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

I agree it's a nice looking rifle, but I don't care for the alterations at the rear receiver bridge. It leaves the extractor looking short, and the wood mortising doesn't follow the same lines...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
I agree it's a nice looking rifle, but I don't care for the alterations at the rear receiver bridge. It leaves the extractor looking short, and the wood mortising doesn't follow the same lines...

If you look closely you can see that the alteration is a double scallop and comes to a point in the right lug raceway. The wood does follow the metal. In other words the alteration is only above the wood-line.

I'm not sure that I like the look of the wood in the area of the alteration, but I do like the fact that the rear end of the extractor is still captured in the bridge(by the portion of the raceway below the wood-line).

Jim Wisner had his last two magnum length(longer for these altered rear bridges) extractors for sale for a very reasonable price. I didn't need them, so I passed. I wish I had bought them and put them away for a rainy day.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flat top checkering usually has fewer lines per inch and requires zero time pointing up the diamonds. It does require great care in execution. I have been told directly by one well known custom maker that he prefers it because it's faster to do than pointed. That should translate to less money to do. Want to make a guess if it does or not? I never asked him. One of the frequent posters that does do it seems absent from this thread. Do you wonder why?

I have done a couple and agree it is faster to complete, but I spent a lot of time hand making cutters that worked correctly before I could start the first job.

stocker

Posts: 312 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pistols all have flat top checkering on front and backstraps ,done by me.Excellent grip without wearing out your clothes on a carry gun !
That's not too difficult as there typically aren't any complex curves.For a rifle that's another story .I wouldn't want to do the work .
I like the idea of getting it sharp then it will ,in use become, develope a 'patina' and become flat ! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know if Sherry Abraham is still doing work. Her 4 panel is around $230. Ahlman's has several patterns under $250 I've never used them others on here have. A full wrap is going to be more in the $400+ range.

I recently used her based on things I've read here..............never again.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I built a pre-64 Win 220 Swift for a friend but didn't checker it. He sent it to Ahlman's and they ruined it. Made us both cry, haven't recommended them since.

Tim Smith-Lyon at classiccheckering.com.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just browing...saw this thread. Yes..flat top goes faster IF a big IF all goes well. One mistake is a "wrist slashing" mistake and simply has to be fixed even if it means complete refinish.

I know extremely talented stockmakers that just will not do it....ever!

I personally do no charge extra, nor reduce price..it all comes out in the round-up

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was waiting to hear your opinion Duane as I recall you osting a pic of some beautiful flat checkering a year or so ago.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote