THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What could one expect from "Accurizing" a Factory Rem 700?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could one expect from "Accurizing" a Factory Rem 700?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I have a few Remington 700s that will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards w/ their "Pet" loads. I was wondering what I could expect by having a qualified Smith "Accurize" these rifles?

My definition of Accurize: Square Bolt Face, Lap the luggs, True Action, Make sure the chamber is in spec, Set Head Space accordingly, Glass bed the Action, and maybe work on the throat alittle. The Triggers are pretty good as is.

What does this typically cost?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
What cal?

1/2"at100 yards.I would leave it alone.

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JeffP. A lot of the benefit of "blueprinting" can't be realized unless you rebarrel. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the others said, if it aint broke don't fix it. Not too many accurized hunting style rifles do much better. I've see many that were lucky to shoot under an inch. A factory gun that shoots every group under a half inch is not to be messed with. It may not even shoot as well after the "accurizing".

aka. bushrat

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Oscar, Glen, and Jeff,

Thanks for the replies, I figured they would probably remain about the same.

Oscar, certainly not every group goes into half inch due to shooter error but, they will consistently put 3 into 1/2" from a cool barrel off of homemade sand bags when I do my part. That was after plenty of different load combos went down the tubes.

Jeff, That would be a 270 win that is bone stock in the factory tupperware stock, A 7RM that is sitting in a HS stock, and a 300 WM Police (HS stock too).

I was mainly thinking about the Police because it's not bedded and the bolt is pretty rough. Just sitting on the Aluminum block that the HS stock has. I've already set the trigger to 2.75# on it but I was thinking of maybe having it accraglass bedded and having the Action, Bolt, & Chamber trued. If that will not help much I'll leave it alone. It's shooting 180 MKs into 1/2" three shot groups at 100 right now.

Thanks again,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
send a note to jim kobe on this. he's a past master at redoing 700's he posts here once in awhile

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch!

Seriously though, the 1/2" groups are not to be messed with. The one wearing the PS stock could use some bedding and a trigger job. I will not "Accurize" or lap bolt lugs on an action unless I am rebarreling it; by recutting the action threads it makes the barrel to action fit too sloppy and the lapping could be detrimental to headspace.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

I think you received some good advice. Leave well enough alone. That said, I have a hard time leaving well enough alone and have a need to timker.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Safarihunter,

You can say that again!

I've already got way too many guns around here so, I'm just "Tinkering" w/ the ones I have now. I guess I'll probably have the 700P bedded before long.

Jim, I don't mind the trigger too much I don't really care for factory triggers set much lighter than 2.5-2.75. I guess if it was an after market trigger I'd feel better about going lower than that. I guess if I get a wild hair I may put a Timney on her.

You know, I hear alot of folks down grading the factory tubes now and then but, I haven't had much trouble getting 700s to group quite well w/ the factory barrels. Maybe I just got lucky w/ these.

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.

Reloader