Find
Notify
Tools

NEW ENGRAVING SOFTWARE PICS!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
I just upgraded my Prototrak software so I can now upload a .CAM file. I got some great engraving software that will engrave most any font I've got on my computer. Here's a few test pictures. I made my own engraving cutter on the surface grinder. It looks like a nail point with the tip barely stoned flat. In the pic with JR ANDERSON-GUNMAKER the cutter broke near the end. Need to get some better tools and maybe a faster spindle. For now I'll just slow the feed rate. Sure beats stamping!!!

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How exactly does that work? You have the software on your computer and somehow you run that software on a CNC Milling machine and the software moves the table, or the software move the cutter, or what?

Pretty nice stuff!

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Nice looking work.

Most of the supply outfits sell single flute carbide engraving cutters with 90, 75 and 60 degree inc. angle. They do work best when run at 18-20k rpm. Probably a bit higher than your mill will run, but should work with slower speeds. High speed cutters should be about 5k rpm. Cutters should have a 3 degree side angle and 10-15 degree back angle "tip off".

Commercial cutters have a .003 radius on tip and will work as is.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
How exactly does that work? You have the software on your computer and somehow you run that software on a CNC Milling machine and the software moves the table, or the software move the cutter, or what?

Pretty nice stuff!

The program is generated on my desktop computer. I export a .CAM file to a thumb drive. Then I ped-net the file to the usb slot on my Prototrak. The upgraded software on the Pototrak converts the .CAM file to the native .MX2 file that runs the mill.

Roger
Do you have any links to a cutter you would recommend ? "3 degree side angle and 10-15 degree back angle "tip off"
Thanks

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Here ya go Jim...

1/8" conical point cutter

I don't think you will need to add the tip off on the commercial cutters.

I would recommend the 60 degree cutter if you are going to be engraving caliber on barrels (round) without a 4 axis. You won't notice that the line widens as it cuts deeper in the center of the letter. The 30 degree cutters are probably too fragile.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That's very nice! We'll need to talk about this soon.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Terry
You've got my # patriot

Roger
Thanks for the link. I'll have to try one of those. I'm thinking about building a bracket to clamp on the quill that would hold my Dumore 1/4" die grinder. This spins 25,000 and I've got a variable speed gizmo I can plug it into. I do like the looks of the engraving font that I cut, but it doesn't hold a candle to the great hand cut lettering you've done for me. thumb

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
posted Hide Post
gunmaker-

That's great looking.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
The program is generated on my desktop computer. I export a .CAM file to a thumb drive. Then I ped-net the file to the usb slot on my Prototrak.

Thanks

Classic!

Neat looking stuff, what a bunch of options this opens up. I've often wanted a little 'griffin' engraved on a barrel, just cause--and it seems like this would open up that possibility--very cool!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James

Looks good. Might want to try,
www.bitsbits.com for your engravers.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how much for that multi-caliber barrel?????

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
looks good G.M. , Is that the millwrite software? I was contemplating C02 lazer for this batch of Mag Mausers I'm making. I like the versatility of the any font part.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
looks good G.M. , Is that the millwrite software? I was contemplating C02 lazer for this batch of Mag Mausers I'm making. I like the versatility of the any font part.
Timan

Yes it is Millwrite software.
http://members.aol.com/m9685123/index.html
It would probably work on your big mill as well.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
how much for that multi-caliber barrel?????

It's still in top secret prototype stage!

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Are you accepting caliber engraving, or any other work with it yet?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good, lotsa potential James!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1824 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
Are you accepting caliber engraving, or any other work with it yet?

I'd be happy to engrave some barrels etc. The only problem is I don't think I can come up with a flat rate price. Dialing in the part was pretty easy on the barrel chunk I tested. Other more time consuming setups will need to be billed by the hour. A simple setup where I could clamp the barrel shank in the vise and quickly dial the top flat should run around $45 + shipping & insurance.

The engraving software could easily be used to make a new set of fonts for a pantograph like the Gorton or New Hermes. Any DXF file that I could import could quickly be scaled up or down and turned into an engraving file.

Another cool feature I want to try is to make a punch by mirroring the engraving.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR