New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding M70 Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Am bedding my first M70 action and had a question. I've bedded lots of M700 actions so this is nothing radically different. But do you full length bed a M70 action or just bed it around the front lug and the rear tang? It seems like all the bolt stop stuff etc on the left rear of the receiver would needlessly get mucked up with bedding compound. I epoxied in the front and rear aluminum pillars yesterday and that came out great. Today I'll bed the lug etc... Thanks in Advance...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would start with just the front lug, the chamber area of the barrel, and the rear tang. See how it shoots and go from there. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Thanks for your thoughts. But after some time examining my action and stock the light came on and I realized I had made a bigger problem out of this than need be. The receiver only contacts the stock near the tang on the sides and the cutouts for the bolt stop/release are not in contact with the stock and need not be glassed in. (unlike the M700 receiver which pretty much contacts the stock its entire length)
I glassed the entire receiver in yesterday and it worked like a charm. Damn I do good work! Not only did it pop out with a few gentle taps of the barrel on a bag of lead shot, but there weren't any gaps or holes. Plus I've learned to clean up the excess that flows out around the action as soon as the action is bolted back in place.
I'm very happy with the pillar bedding system here and the bedding job overall.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote