THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Can anyone refer me to a GREAT gunsmith in the Boise, ID area?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone refer me to a GREAT gunsmith in the Boise, ID area?
 Login/Join

posted
Anywhere in the treasure valley would work fine. Thanks guys.

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Im sure there is one hideing somewhere,
There was a semi retired guy in New Plymouth that Tom Burgess had told me about, He does stock making and custom metal stuff. I visited a couple times and he showed me some nice guns he built . He Has mill, lathe etc set up.
Pm me if you want to try and find him

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have any objections to asking Swat members ?.

I always had good repore with Sheriffs especially up that neck of the woods .

A personal visit is a two way street as their more apt to help than just a phone call.

You know somebody works their stuff ,so it never hurts to ask . archer archer archer
Ada County Sheriff
7200 Barrister Dr.
Boise, ID 83704

(208) 577-3000
Dial 911 for
EMERGENCIES ONLY

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't Malm in the area?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy in New Plymouth was Sharmon Smith. He was a great guy and unfortunately he passed away sometime last summer.

George Hoenig is one of the best in the world but he pretty much just builds guns from scratch, unless it's a project that interests him.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No objection to asking SWAT members. Great idea.
Shane, who is the guy you are talking about that does custom builds?

Posts: 328 | Location: Southwest Idaho | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idgnmkr Shane, Yes Sharm, Great guy, I had not heard he had passed away.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Isn't George Hoenig in the area? Talk about great.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRAMSAY10,

The guy I was speaking of is George Hoenig. He lives just north of Boise a bit. I'm not sure from your post what kind of work you want. George builds his own design break open rifle that has a rotary action. They are a work of art and he's busy enough with them that he doesn't do much else. I've heard on occasion he will take on a small side project if it interests him.

GSP7,

I had lunch with Sharm in Reno last year, and spoke to him a couple of times after that. Then I read in an issue of Gunmaker that he had passed. I searched the internet and found that he had passed in a car accident. I never really could find much information on it. He was a great guy and in remarkably good health for his age.......somehwere around the 80 mark!

He was a good friend of George Hoening and introduced me a few years ago. We had a nice visit and show and tell at George's shop.....good memories.....good times.

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I need to watch my terminology on here. your "great" and mine are very different. My "great" is your "pretty good". I wish I could afford one of his rifles. I guess I just need to call around about regular old long range hunting rifle builders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick Hart 344-2633. I've been using him for everything from repairs to having custom rifles built since 1978. He got out of Korea and went to gunsmithing school on the GI Bill. Crotchety old fart, but his work is flawless. He worked alongside George Hoening at Purcell's back in the late sixties/early seventies. He built my 550 Gibbs.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ISS,
I called Mr Hart and he was a pleasure to talk to. I am going to pay him a visit and get the ball rolling. Thanks.