Notify
Tools

MRC PH Strength?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the MRC PH action handle the bolt thrust
of full pressure .408 Chey-Tac?

I am considering the 375 Chey-Tac and this question was posed by RIP. I don't have a clue how much pressure this action will withstand.

Anyone..?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What did MRC say when you asked them?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're kidding...right? These are behemoth actions and I doubt you would blow one with any load from a Chey-Tac. Just handle one and you will get the picture. I think they will take a lot of abuse before giving up. I have one and intended to build a 505 Gibbs but also may go the tactical build route since I already have a CZ in 505.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
I am considering the 375 Chey-Tac...

You may want to check out Defiance Machine's actions. They are roughly the same cost of Montana's PH and designed for benchrest use.

http://defiancemachine.com/

Posts: 523 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
quote:
I am considering the 375 Chey-Tac...

You may want to check out Defiance Machine's actions. They are roughly the same cost of Montana's PH and designed for benchrest use.

http://defiancemachine.com/

Their fourth action down the bolt-action list, the Renegade, is made especially for the CheyTac cartridges.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My heavy load for the 505 is 150 grs of rl22 and a 535 barnes FN solid. No sign of wear except to my shoulder. I am building a 416-505 now. It is barreled and chambered,The stock is on the way. It should be shooting by the end of next month. I have the reamer ,custom dies about 300 bucks, shooting barns ttsx for hornady match for a dollar a piece priceless.
With jamerson out business I am worried about brass. My idea was to avoid the extra cost of the 408 cytec I am hopeing for 3000fps with the 350 barnes and 2800 fps out of the 400 gr hornady vld match.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can the MRC PH action handle the bolt thrust
of full pressure .408 Chey-Tac?

I am considering the 375 Chey-Tac and this question was posed by RIP. I don't have a clue how much pressure this action will withstand.

Anyone..?

Andy

Andy:

I also suggest (as the Moderator) that you contact MRC. They are the ones that will have the hard data. BTW, the shortest factory CT ammo is 4.100 and the MRC website notes, "Currently we are looking at a internal magazine length of 4.043". So figure on shooting single shot style.

I have a Receivers matrix posted on my site that may be of assistance, the middle tab is for CT-capable receivers - see http://elr-resources.com/page3.html NOTE: I do not currently list the PH on the CT tab/page. I've just e-mailed MRC to see whether it is appropriate to add it. Update (7/28) - they responded and I've updated the docs - "single shot only".

ELR Researcher
www.elr-resources.com
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
NRA Endowment Member
CRPA Life Member

Posts: 77 | Location: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: 02 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told by a builder who specializes in the cheytac say the thread section is somewhat short to fully support a longer heavy barrel
Mrc when I asked said that was a million dollar question. A singkeshot at best

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have already discovered the CT is too long. Perhaps a slightly shortened version of the 375 SnipeTac(improved CheyTac) will allow the seating of really long bullets.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote