New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1895 Dutch Mannlicher action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have become the proud (I think )owner of the above listed action, it was 6.5 X 53R. no barrel just a stub with threads.
What can be done with it he asks...............

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most of the rifles on that link are 95 steyr straight pulls; the Dutch is a Mannlicher type turn bolt. 256 Mannlicher is a rimmed round.
The action is a Mannlicher with a clip loaded magazine; not the rotary mag.
I built a 444 Marlin on a 95 Steyr straight pull last year that works well...
Just so everyone is on the same sheet of music.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is there any wood out in the world?

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
My mistake, heres the whole thing, knock yourself out!.....

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...rd=mannlicher&page=0

and this too.....

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-...ssic_mannlicher.html

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two, a 303 by Watson Bros and a 375x2.5 by Cogswell and Harrison. Both are good shooters although the 303 has a "generous" bore and requires a .314 dia bullet. Both calibers are correct for the period as is the .256. As mentioned the action requires the 5 round clip to function and these need to be collected as the last round is fired. They are unique to the action and require some searching to find. Sounds like the start of a good project that will yield a nice hunting rifle.
Best

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No one makes wood that I know of; GAG did but they are gone and their successors worse.
I had to make the stock for the Steyr 95 by hand.
I didn't want to make pattern for one stock, but I could if someone wanted to pay....

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x53r is a great little cartridge, easy to make from 303 Brit. You can use easier to find 6.5x54 dies for reloading, using a 303 shellholder.
Clips are still available pretty reasonably, I believe the last I bought were from Sarco for a couple of bucks each. Barreling it in 303 would be the easiest, but the little 6.5 is just a joy to shoot with 160 grain Hornady's. These were relatively inexpensive rifles in the day and the Brits dolled them up into classy little guns. Like the article Yuma linked, many of the famous British hunters in Africa used them and there was more than a bit of confusion among historians and authors who assumed those hunters used the 6.5x54. Congratulations on your find, and if you decide not to build it, please keep me in mind! Lee

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
My mistake, heres the whole thing, knock yourself out!.....

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...rd=mannlicher&page=0

and this too.....

http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-...ssic_mannlicher.html

Roger

Thank you that really helps a lot

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to restore this back to 6.5 x53R and will need a barrel I would prefer a NOS barrel but that might be wishful thinking. The action is 98% blue no pits so I would think it should be back to original as possible it is marked Hembrug 1918 serial # 190X all matching numbers

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how the stocks are that are made by U S gun inletting & stocks in California ?? I see they have a 1895 Dutch Mannlicher stock listed.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As noted above, the 6,5x53R is an extremely nice caliber to shoot and hunt with. Recoil is virtually non-existant, and it's deadly on game, killing far out of proportion to its' "Paper" numbers.

A practical tip on preventing loss of the en-bloc clips in the field: simply put some tape across the opening in the bottom metal from which the clip drops upon chambering the last round. If you use an easily-removed tape, such as masking tape, in the unlikely event you'd want to reload quickly, you can strip off the tape, catch the empty clip, and insert another.

Good luck, and good hunting!
John

Posts: 126 | Location: Right here, for now! | Registered: 03 November 2015Reply With Quote