New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 94 question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a pre-64 Model 94 that's got a rusted up corroded barrel. I just received a nice pre-64 barrel from an eBay auction for it from a guy in Canada. My question is, how much trouble am I asking by trying to rebarrel this thing myself? Is this just a screw on and headspace proposition, or am I biting off a little more than I care to chew? I'm no gunsmith, and this is my first attempt at something like this.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a Model 94 wouldn't be a good choice for a 1st time rebarrel project. The reciver is very easy to bend in a Model 94.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted

<G.Malmborg>
posted

I suppose you're wondering what that last post was about. Me too...

Anyway, like I was going to say before the "send" button got in my way was, The odds of having the replacement barrel pull up to properly orient the extractor slot and the sights, while maintaining correct headspace isn't in your favor.

You might want to save your first barrel job for something a little less complicated and hire this done.

Malm

<JBelk>
posted
007--

Most of the old M-94s had indexed barrels and were an out of shop repair for Winchester. I'd bet green dollars it'll index properly, but the danger of bending, twisting, warping, destroying the receiver is pretty high if you don't have the right wrench and know what you're doing.

So the short (too late) answer is-- Yes, it'll index, and NO you shouldn't do it yourself. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I thank you for your blunt and honest replies. Although not ignorant when it comes to firearms, I do confess I know zip, zilch, nada about lever guns. The thought of doing it myself was born out of financial necessity rather than a "fun" project to do. You see, I picked this 94 up for only two bits, and got the barrel for four more. When I checked a couple of web sites of gunsmiths who list their prices they seemed to want around $225 for a rebarrel. I was hesitant to put $225 into a $75 rifle. Based on what you've all suggested however, it's money well spent; the alternative being a ruined receiver. Thanks again guys, you're the best!! [Smile]

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to check around, $225 is pretty damned high priced for installing that barrel...I would bet dollars to donuts you can get it done for $50.00 to $100., if not let me know.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote