New
Find
Notify
Tools

Raising comb height
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever raised the comb height of a straight comb stock (with too much drop)by cutting off a section and 'dovetailing' and profiling a section to a higher height?

Any info on this would be welcome (and no I don't want an elastic cheekpiece!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

1894mk2,

Absolutely and with great success. I did not do this however on my AAA+ grade walnut stocks, just the orange crate/soap box stuff.....roflmao

I've a German who makes pistol grips for various Olympic Teams in the area and he is a master at matching the wood and glueing on bits & pieces. He doesn't even bother with a dovetail, just cuts off the top of the stock and melds a new bit. Worked great on a combo gun that was way too low for the scope and he did similar for one of your countrymen with a shotgun stock. You'll notice the meld upon close inspection but overall great for working guns.

I would imagine with the level of superior gunsmithing in the UK you could find someone to do similar work.

I did though opt for a couple of tack/glue/paste on cheek pieces from Brownell's and they work super on the synthetic stuff.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find it much more efficient to raise ones head about 1/4 of an inch...You would be surprised how little raising the head and looking through a scope makes in your shooting, at least in the real world.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I find it much more efficient to raise ones head about 1/4 of an inch...You would be surprised how little raising the head and looking through a scope makes in your shooting, at least in the real world.

Ray,

I have got to tell you, you give the best, the most informative, and by far the most logical answers to questions of anyone on this site...Bar None.

Your “bottom line“ approach is very refreshing...thank you!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote