Find
Notify
Tools

Gun coatings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted
I've looked into several of the different rifle coatings that are available and need to decide which one to use before next fall. Does anyone have any epxerience with Black Ice, Black T, Or Cerakote offered by Fit 4 Duty? Which one is best and are there websites/phone #'s available? Thanks in advance.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Nobody has ever had any of these coatings done?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.
Tip Burns

Posts: 51 | Location: canyon lake,texas | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
I've looked into several of the different rifle coatings that are available and need to decide which one to use before next fall. Does anyone have any epxerience with Black Ice, Black T, Or Cerakote offered by Fit 4 Duty? Which one is best and are there websites/phone #'s available? Thanks in advance.

Take a look at KG GunKote. Mac's Restorations in Arizona applies it with proper technique, quick turn-around time and reasonable price. I've used KG Gunkote on many firearms and like it.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
m70,

Two yrs ago, I had a Rem 700, 06, that I semi-customed, & had a sssm pac-nor barrel put on. sent it to fit4duty, & got the matte finish. It has held up pretty good, it's my "rain/snow rifle"& I am very satisfied with the coating. I also had it "micro slicked". Shoot TSX's in it & have no problem with cleaning.

last yr. I sent to Black Ice a #1 that I use for my primary deer rifle. Had it teflon coted im the "matte" finish, they did an excelent job. It was a pac-nor sssm barrell also.

If I remember right, the fit4duty cost me around $260, Black Ice around $160.

Both companies seemed very customer orniated.

In 2007, I intend to send each of them another rifle to do.

Gene

Posts: 182 | Location: Va. | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just received my Model 700 barreled action back from Birdsong and Associates. They applied their Black T finish to the barrel and receiver.

I would never compare it to a fine blue, but it's a very nice flat black for a working gun. It is very evenly applied across all surfaces. As I just received it, I can't comment on its durability yet, but it certainly has a good reputation. Many government agencies specify Black T for their weapons. It is not a surface treatment, but rather embedded into the metal surface, so it won't flake. Mr. Birdsong also touts the Black T's effectiveness in preventing rust as that was his original motivation for developing a finish.

I hope to give it a thorough test over the next year as it is my rough weather rifle.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:

Take a look at KG GunKote. Mac's Restorations in Arizona applies it with proper technique, quick turn-around time and reasonable price. I've used KG Gunkote on many firearms and like it.

Jordan

Jordan and I have agreed on this very same subject several times. Mac has done two rifles for me, and I am more than satisfied.

http://www.shootiniron.com/

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'eve used KG gunkote, turned out great, and has held up very well, I would use it again no doubt, P6, piss poor prep = piss poor paint.

Posts: 27 | Location: Sanger, TEXAS | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote