THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed - Sako 85 safety not working????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I got a call today from a friend. They have just completed a hunt in the mountains near Queenstown and got a few wild stags.

Barry says his bolt safety is not working & it does not fire a round. Not clear what is happening. I'll know more in a day or two and will have a look at his rifle.

He was wondering if the bolt safety lock system (a separate key locks the bolt) might have got accidentally engaged. He does not have a key with him.

Sorry for the vague post. Just getting it out there in case Barry has missed something obvious.

I'll come back with more info, photos or even a video if appropriate.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

I have never seen a Sako with a proprietary locking system. Remington yes. Although it may be a European feature that we simply don't see here. Europeans are veddy strange!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
coffee

I have never seen a Sako with a proprietary locking system. Remington yes. Although it may be a European feature that we simply don't see here. Europeans are veddy strange!

You don't half speak funny Big Grin

Sako Introduces the 'Key Concept'; A New Innovation in Rifle Safety ...

Rod, My 75 had the 'Key Concept'bolt lock. Sako don't advise fiddling with it. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:

Sako Introduces the 'Key Concept'; A New Innovation in Rifle Safety ...

coffee

Well now, I googled: "Sako Key Concept" and it came up. A little cocking indicator, that when turned, cams into the back of your firing pin and render's the gun non-fireable.

I have never seen one. But, what an ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY silly concept !

Just sayin.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Chalmers:

No there is an actual key that comes with the rifle which should not be lost.A good smith would be able to rework it though and make it good...

LAS VEGAS (BUSINESS WIRE) - ASSA ABLOY, the world's largest and most experienced lock manufacturer, has been selected to
provide the locking mechanism for the innovative SAKO KEY CONCEPT, introduced today at the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trades
(SHOT) Show at the Sands Expo and Convention Center in Las Vegas.

The SAKO KEY CONCEPT is a new built-in, locking mechanism on the Sako 75 hunting rifle activated by a special key unique to each rifle.
The key blends into the rifle contours when the lock is open and the gun is operational. When the key is removed, the lock takes effect and
the hunting rifle is completely safe and inoperative.

Paul-Erik Toivo, president of Sako Ltd., the Finland-based manufacturer of world-class hunting rifles, noted that the Sako 75 is considered to
be the very best bolt action rifle in the industry.

"It is only natural that as we wanted to offer the Sako 75 with added security and safety for its owner and society in general," said Toivo. "We
chose the very best lock maker in the world to deliver the lock. We cannot feel more secure than with the ASSA ABLOY lock in our new
KEY CONCEPT, which will be the new standard in gun safety."
The second-largest lock manufacturer in the United States, ASSA ABLOY provides the utmost security for the SAKO KEY CONCEPT, an
idea that is expected to revolutionize gun safety around the world.//quote

Its not something for the layman to fool with or it may go boinggg. Big Grin but as you said previously Rod,probably some silly idea picked up from Remington and hopefully did not progress on to the 85' Big Grin jc

/
quote:
Well now, I googled: "Sako Key Concept" and it came up. A little cocking indicator, that when turned, cams into the back of your firing pin and render's the gun non-fireable.
I have never seen one. But, what an ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY silly concept !
Just sayin.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter:
He could go back to a non-locking shroud and firing pin. Might run a couple hundred.
If nobody here has any advice (they usually do) Brownell's tech guys might be able to help if you call them and explain the issue.
Here's a clip about a similar 75.
http://sakocollectors.com/foru...ept-conversion.2471/

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote