New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win94 30-30 Buffalo Bill Cody Version
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working on a 'commemorative' version of the Winchester 94 30-30. Normally, I breakdown these units and give it a good cleaning, rust irradiation (inside & out), greasing, rewaxing the wood and viola. We got a shiny, new looking unit.

This particular version is the typical Winchester commemorative type with the fancy scribing and white letters within the scribing throughout the receiver and rear of the barrel as well as the mounted doubloon-like coin on the starboard side of the stock.

This particular version has an octagonal barrel (nice unit). Normally the front band surrounds the barrel & magazine and is secured by a screw in the center of the front band. In this version, there appears a dovetailed bracket mounted underneath the barrel, which then secures the magazine to the bottom of the barrel. What is missing is what I would expect to be a screw head. Furthermore, the bracket just below and forward where the screw head is supposed to be is broken. Normally, the screw is removed, along with the bracket � then replaced.

Q1: Does anyone out there in gunsmithland know if this is a screwed in assembly?

Q2: Where could I obtain a dovetail bracket and its associated screw or pin? (Brownells & Winchester do not have any available).

Q3: If these parts are possibly unavailable, where could I get one fabricated?

Would appreciate any information anyone has available!

[ 09-03-2002, 06:19: Message edited by: Alex Szabo ]

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Gun Parts Corp (Numrich Arms) in New York. They used to sell kits with all these parts in them. I don't have the number handy, but they usually have adds in all the gun rags. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
Try Gun Parts Corp (Numrich Arms) in New York. They used to sell kits with all these parts in them. I don't have the number handy, but they usually have adds in all the gun rags. - Dan

Thanks Dan!

I remember these guys after you have mentioned them....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up gang, Numrich does not have the part. I am still playing Lewis & Clark...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex, I know it's a long way away, but Western Gun Parts here in town has a lot of Winchester stuff. Their number is 780-489-5711, web site is www.westerngunparts.com, email is egp@westerngunparts.com We're on mountain time here, Alex, so a couple hours earlier then you. Hope this helps. On the plus side, your US dollar should go a lot farther here. - Dan

[ 09-05-2002, 04:57: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan, I'll give that a shot!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex

The bands are silver soldered on the bottom of the barrel. The front bracket has a pin that retains the mag tube. According to my records Gun Parts has the band in stock.Do a search for part# 283830,price is $4.10. I have the rear bands in stock which are the same with the exception of the retaining pin hole.
James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
...Do a search for part# 283830...
James

James,

Thanks a million! I spoke to Christina on Monday to place an order (along w/catalog) but recieved an e-mail on my pending order today - part no longer carried.

The part number appears as you have prescribed, so I shall inquire of them in the morning.

I really appreciate the heads up on the fact that the component bracket is silver soldered too! I was going to fabricate a tool which in the end would have wound up screwing up the unit - appreciate you looking out for me!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a FYI, the "dovetail bracket" is not a dovetail on original '94 rifles. It is actually a rotary cam locking affair. Do not try and drift one out. : )

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote