New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vise Base
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gunsmiths, I have a Gyro-vise, which I understand may have been the predecessor of the Versa-vise, and which has a busted base. The thing rotates on a post that is apparently cast from iron and then machined. At any rate, mine has a foot broken off the post casting. Do any of you know of a source for parts for these things? Brownells sells a similar vise called "Multi-vise," and I can buy a new post from them, but I am not sure it will fit.

Thanks for the help!

Clemson

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Call or E-Mail Brownells about you question they are very helpful.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The base on my Brownells Multi- Vise has a center tube post that is 2.50inches tall...1.50 inches wide...with a wall thickness of 0.24 inches.

The base sells for $22.04 from Brownells...part number #080-000-052.

Wood Crafters sells an identical vise (Universal Vise) for $49.95 complete. You might call them to see if they carry spare parts because the Brownells vise sells for $220.00 so I would assume that the base for the $49.95 vise would probably be far less than the $22 bucks Brownells wants for theirs.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clemson

I have both a Gyro vise and a Versa Vise. Both have the same base, machined from cast iron with a 1.5" diam X 2.5" tall cylinder. The Brownell base should work fine for either of these.

Or you could just braze the broken base to a 6x6 piece of plate and bolt that to your bench.

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember that Brownells will take back any item and refund your money. You might order it and try it on...

Then again, the new catalog should be out soon and if you are like me you will find all sorts of must have goodies- perhaps wait for the catalog... Hmmmm.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote