New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with age of Lyman M48 WJS sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just acquired a Lyman M-48 W.J.S. to complete restoration of a Win. M-54 for a friend. Are there any experts that can tell me the age of this sight. I understand that there were a couple of versions. His original base is stamped N3 on the inside of the dove tail. This one is E15. The box says 48 WJS Micrometer Receiver with One Quarter Minute Adjustments with Disc for Winchester Bolt Action Rifles Model 54 and 70 Remington 721. the printed price on the box is $12.50. Would appreciate any help in the details of each of these sights.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, What you have is a better version of the 48 Lyman, but,The Ayatollahs of Authenticity would be all over you for using it on a restoration. M 721 Rem is post WW II. The M54 win was succeeded by the model 70 in 1936 ( give or take- Dealers were still selling M54's when the war started).

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
System98 is correct in that you most likely have a "short slide' version that does not require inletting of your stock (a good thing). However, to be period correct, you need a long slide version that does require a small amount of inletting on the left hand side of your stock to accommodate the longer slide.

I think the version you have is better, but agree with System98 that it is not correct for the age of your rifle.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the assist. The mounting block is identical in size and shape to the one that was on the rifle. The stock is inletted for this base.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote