THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which action for a custom 218 bee mashburn?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,I'd like to build (have built,accepted stock) a custom bolt action repeating rifle in 218 bee mashburn, and was wanting opinons on what action would be suitable. Any web site address to look them up much appreciated.
Thanks alot.
Hutzpah [Smile]

Posts: 18 | Location: Perth | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
As you probably already know, you're asking quite a bit. If it were me, I'd go to a 221 Fireball and avoid the many aggravations. If you wish to press on, I'd start with an action that was already set up to feed the 218 standard Bee. The Winchester 43 is the only one that comes to mind. They were also available in 25/20, 32/20 and .22 hornet. The 25/20 or 32/20 would work very well for your conversion. That said, many people aren't that thrilled with the m 43 action. You really need to hold one in YOUR hands to see if it has the level of sophistication that you desire.

Kimber of Oregon also made a few 25/20's and .218's. I believe they were based off of the M 82 action. I can't remember if they were repeaters or not.

The final action that may work would be the anschutz m 54. You would need to alter the bolt face and perhaps the extractors, but that shouldn't be too big of a chore. Be sure that the Bee's rim will fit in the magazine width wise before purchasing though. The anschutz all told would be much better suited to the K hornet.

Not many options after these three. Good luck.
[Smile]
Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
The Cooper model 38 is available in the 218 Mashburn, but it is a single shot action, and would probably take you a few years to find just a acion to build on. I dont think Cooper is selling the action's , you could buy the Varminter for around 900 and have a nice rifle to shoot, and rebuild later as the barrel wears out.