New
Find
Notify
Tools

28 Gauge Ruger # 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have this half assed idea about converting a Ruger #1 to a single shot smooth bore 28 gauge. Any idea who might do that kind of work?

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Bakersfield California  | Registered: 27 November 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To keep on topic I don't know of any one but one would think about any good smith could screw a shotgun barrel on.

An interesting idea.

Would really be over kill for a 28ga.

For the money spent I would think one could buy a very nice real 28ga shotgun.

When you go to sell expect to get half or less of what you have into it.

Posts: 19435 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the #1 as a platform and its fairly hard to find a really good harmless single shot shotgun. As far as resale value most custom guns are a money sewer.

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Bakersfield California  | Registered: 27 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need to alter the loading trough and recess the safety button. Not an overly complicated job but you will need to think it through.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is a straightforward job; I just do not have the tooling needed for the chamber and the chokes he wants.
Shotguns are like hammers to me; by them off the shelf, use them and throw them back in the drawer.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably would shoot tighter groups than #1 rifles.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 19435 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson of Plains Montana would be the guy to contact. He does a lot of big-bore #1 conversions. He is a great guy to deal with.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New England Custom Guns has been doing these conversions for a couple years now. I believe they do them in 20gauge though. More of a slug gun with express sights than an upland bird rig. It would be worth discussing it with them.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote