THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is there an easily removeable breech plug for traditional muzzle loaders?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there an easily removeable breech plug for traditional muzzle loaders?
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Hi all,

I have to say one nice thing about inlines is they are easy to unload without firing and cleaning is simpler too. Does anyone make a breech plug for traditional style muzzle loaders that can also be removed relatively easily? I have a few barrels laying around and if I ever got the urge to build another being able to remove the breech for cleaning I'd see as a plus.

TIA,

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Mark;
My T/C's have had the plugs pulled then lapped the threads with 600 grit compound until they just hand threaded in. Set a 6/32 set screw in the bottom.
Easy clean, easy unload. Been shooting them like thatfor years. the only way to go in my opinion.
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No reason they have to be super tight, so fit yours so you can remove it. It is just with a long rifle, you have all those pins to remove which might damage the stock punching them in and out.
Or use a ball puller; that is what I do.

Posts: 17185 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a ball puller every night, wipe the bore, and dry it after a hunt. Reload the next morning. Sure will save you that ocassional misfire, not a 100% but gives you that extra edge.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42000 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote