New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting a scope on a Military Model 98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a way to mount a scope on an unaltered Model 98 Mauser (1943) without boogering up the stock and receiver?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B-Square makes the type of mount I think you're looking for.

http://secure.armorholdings.com/b-square/mauser.html

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Use one of the long eye relief scope mounts that replaces the rear sight. All you have to do is swap out the sight ramp; no gunsmithing to it.

That is what Craig is pointing to if I'm not mistaken.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&K insta mounts

I'm going with the S&K mount on my Spanish Mauser. It requires a "large eye relief" scope, and S&K suggests the NcStar 2-7x32. The Insta Mount for mine, less rings, costs $69 from S&K with $9 S/H.

I'm hoping for a sturdy, no-drill mount and a "scout" scope in a compact, no-snag package on my 7mm Spanish Mauser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stock modification is necessary if using S&K mounts , I know this for a fact as I've done a few .

I simply epoxy bases too the receiver , depending on bolt throw , as some military rifles need

off set mounts so as to clear the scope or eject spent cases .

Cradle the rifle make some mock bases ( tape them in place temporarily ). Now

with the rings and scope your planning to use set the scope in and see if all is well .

Some require shimming or a higher front base in order to " Level " the scope .

I've actually made bases on the mill from steel and Aluminum ( Parkerized, anodized black or paint

later ).

I even drilled and tapped some of them for mounting actual factory bases on top of those I made .

I won't lie and say all looked wonderful most were passable however ALL worked and are working .

Scopes don't move and it's surprising the groups obtained with a scope and handloads .

I would be delighted to post pictures except everything is packed and ready for new home

new state and may be awhile before that can happen .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote